Review of The Date Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa Grimaldi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-grimaldi.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review of The Date Farm

Post by Lisa Grimaldi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Date Farm by Jack Winnick is book 4 in the Lara and Uri series. The book opens with a mass killing at a mall in Los Angeles by Middle Eastern terrorists who then take their own lives. Enter Lara and Uri, now a married couple who have extensive expertise and experience in Islamic terrorism. The United States government discovers that top government and military communications have been severely compromised, greatly endangering the country and its citizens. This discovery is swiftly followed by a raid on the Federal Reserve and Chase Manhattan banks and the theft of material crucial to national security and the war against terrorism. Our protagonists must go under cover in enemy territory to do what they do best – right the wrongs and protect America.

Jack Winnick has quickly become one of my favorite authors. What I enjoyed most about this novel is experiencing the growing maturity of Winnick’s writing. His style has become neat and streamlined; it is faultless in its sense of urgency and clarity of vision. There is little here to distract from the action and the development of well-known characters. This is a tight, well-written story with lots of action. I also love the fact that Lara is an equal to Uri in skills and abilities. There is no such thing as a “weaker sex” in a Winnick story.

I can honestly say that I found no negative aspects to this book. Prior books in this series have been overly detailed in stealth technology or warfare or overly descriptive weaponry. This book is tightly written and those negative aspects no longer exist.

This book was professionally edited. I found only a couple of minor editorial errors. It was an enjoyable read, fraught with tensions and satisfying resolutions. The characters were well-developed and believably written. I was fully invested in the story and anxious for these beloved protagonists as they jumped from one intense situation to another. As with the other books in this series, I very much look forward to reading the next one. For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book for fans of the series. Readers who enjoy espionage and suspense with just a hint of romance to keep things interesting will enjoy this book. Readers who enjoy learning about Middle Eastern culture will find interesting glimpses in this book. This is not a cozy mystery. There is bloodshed and violence, but it is necessary to the story unfolding. This book is a most satisfying continuation of a great adventure. Come along for the ride!

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

This story has a great deal of interest. I'm curious how Uri and Lara handled the fresh message they got while on vacation.
Superb review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”