Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary Grace's California trip beautifully captures the essence of lemonade. As the old saying goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

In Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure, Catherine A. Pepe tells the story of the Miller family. Despite the challenges of raising a son with Down syndrome, the author portrays a vibrant, close-knit family with a quality home life. However, this comfort is about to be disrupted as Mr. and Mrs. Miller are given a mission to Africa. This mission would require them to leave their children, Mary Grace and Donny, behind. The plan is for them to have the children move to California to start a new life with their grandparents. Nonetheless, Mary Grace is disappointed, whereas her brother, Donny, is excited about the prospect of a new adventure. So, how would the family cope with these major changes?

While this is a children's book, I believe its content is appropriate for adults. Furthermore, the theme of bullying, which is a major issue in our schools, on the internet, and virtually everywhere, is presented, as are ways of dealing with it. The passages in the book also adequately illustrate other equally relevant sub-themes such as family, friendship, forgiveness, and rehabilitation. Furthermore, the novel's character development has been excellent. For example, readers will instantly fall in love with the witty Mary Grace. This is because she exudes love and intelligence from the very first scene by coordinating the search for her missing little brother.

I have to say that there was nothing I disliked about the book because it was exceptionally well-edited and the characters were carefully curated with strong messages. Additionally, I marveled at the mystery introduced, which added suspense to the story. Similarly, a special mention is due to the ingenious "Grand-Ma Gang" for their display of knowledge, empathy, and resourcefulness in attempting to solve the mystery. For this reason, I rate this book four out of four stars.

I would recommend this novel to parents, young adults, and even teachers who deal with most of the issues expressed in this book. I would also recommend it to anyone struggling with life; it can be a helpful source of inspiration.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I read this book recently and loved it! I especially loved how the issue of bullying was dealt with in the book. Thank you for your great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Grand-Ma-Gang is indeed very indigenous. I think its great that we have children books that deal with bullying and tell how to deal with it as well. Thank you for the concise review Faiso!
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

C Janet wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 14:01 I read this book recently and loved it! I especially loved how the issue of bullying was dealt with in the book. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for your comment.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Kavita Shah wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 15:01 Grand-Ma-Gang is indeed very indigenous. I think its great that we have children books that deal with bullying and tell how to deal with it as well. Thank you for the concise review Faiso!
Oh yes! Thanks, Kavita.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I enjoy children books that are filled with sound lessons and that the content is appropriate for adults makes it really good. Furthermore, the theme of bullying, which is a major issue in our schools, on the internet, and virtually everywhere makes it a must read for all children.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Covenant Morolayo Olusegun wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 03:05 I enjoy children books that are filled with sound lessons and that the content is appropriate for adults makes it really good. Furthermore, the theme of bullying, which is a major issue in our schools, on the internet, and virtually everywhere makes it a must read for all children.
Definitely. Thanks for your kind words.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I've read this book, and I truly enjoyed reading your well written review of it. Thanks Faiso!
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Mary Grace seems like a smart and interesting character. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Nazzo wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 11:53 I've read this book, and I truly enjoyed reading your well written review of it. Thanks Faiso!
Thanks for commenting on my review.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Ceeco2002 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 17:04 Mary Grace seems like a smart and interesting character. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
Indeed she was. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review of the book.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 551
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I like that the book deals with the theme of bullying because I believe that talking about this phenomenon is one of the ways to stop it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

I agree that the book is also suitable for adults due to its content. Thank you for such a review.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The "Grand-Ma Gang" sounds like an interesting group of capable women. :) Kudos to the author for combining carefully curated characters, strong messages, and even a bit of mystery into this children's book. Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Lecdeliv wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 17:25 I like that the book deals with the theme of bullying because I believe that talking about this phenomenon is one of the ways to stop it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Sure thing. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”