Review of Gardening With Guns

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Review of Gardening With Guns

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Each one of us has a unique story. Some may feel they are less fortunate, but instead of feeling like that, remember that there's always less fortunate than us. Some may feel, they had less in material things, but maybe they are abundant in love. Whatever it is, we must always look on the positive side and be grateful.

In Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton, she bravely talks about her confidential life story. AJ (Amber) boldly tells her story from her childhood until her married life. Amber is from a broken family. Her parents divorced when she was 9 years old. Under her mother and stepfather's custody, her life turned miserable. She was sexually abused by her stepfather, and she was mistreated. Later in her life, another devastating news about her father shocked her. Also, her marriage deteriorated after she found something unusual about her husband. You should read this book to find out.

I like how suspense of the memoir. I spilled out mixed emotions while reading this book. There's nothing part of the book that I lost track of. The story made me crave what's next. Amber seems like telling her story right next to me. I feel her emotions with every word she said. There's part of the book that I want to hug her. In other parts, I want to be her best friend and defender. One thing that I hate is Glen's character. He was heartless and conscienceless. He deserved to be in prison. Throughout the book, I observed that Amber's childhood was filled with misery, but it taught her many lessons which made her a brave woman. She was an inspiration to people who experience the same dilemma.

In addition, I like how AJ connects to her audiences. She used words that conveys deep emotions. Her language and writing style is relatively easy for the intended audience to understand. I like how she delivered the story in the book. For example, she tells a very suspenseful event in her childhood and then flips the topic to her adult life. I found it thrilling to make the readers up. I would say, her book, Gardening With Guns is remarkable.

Moreover, I like how the book was laid out. Every chapter was well organized and well formatted. I also found no grammatical or typographical errors, and the book was exceptionally edited.

On the other hand, I only found one minor error, and that is the spacing. There are sentences where it is lacking, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of reading. Other than that, there's nothing to dislike about the book. Thus, I would love to rate Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton four out of four stars because I was deeply touched by Amber's story. I gained two life lessons. First, I should be brave whatever life unfolds. Second, we should not be ashamed of our stories because they might be an inspiration to others. I salute how courageous AJ is in writing this book. I want to extend my biggest congratulations for making this book possible.

I think whoever going through hard times will find this book inspiring. People who are in the stage of divorce or the product of divorce will find this book relatable. Additionally, this book is suited for adults since it contains abusive relationship, sexual assault, and minor profanity. All in all, it was an emotional read.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

It seems like Amber has gone through a lot and survived to become a stronger woman. I appreciate women who face troubles and stand tall in spite of it all. Thanks for the lovely review, Hazel.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 07:59 It seems like Amber has gone through a lot and survived to become a stronger woman. I appreciate women who face troubles and stand tall despite it all. Thanks for the lovely review, Hazel.
You are so kind, Nisha. Amber surpasses a lot of troubles in life. She was an inspiration to many.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”