Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray has lived all his life in the land of the princes. The land is stricken with hunger and starvation because of the war between the sons of the reigning king. He gets a letter from his ailing uncle, who is a successful blacksmith in Voulhire, informing him of the plan to bequeath his possessions to Galen. Boarding a ship, he sets sail for Voulhire, a kingdom flowing with milk and honey and the promise of a better life. Arriving at Magnum Caelum, a small town in Voulhire, Galen looks on in wonder at such a beautiful and successful kingdom, much better than where he came from. Is he right? Is Voulhire as perfect as Galen thinks? Will Voulhire continue to have its magic? You’d have to read We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz to find out.

There were many positives in this book. The author narrated this story of fantasy, magic, and royalty so well. Although these concepts are complex, he used simple language to convey the story to the reader. Galen Bray was the main character, but all other characters were properly developed. The author did this by narrating the story from the different perspectives of the characters. The plot was well-rounded. This story was about the beauty of a successful state and the evil intentions of some selfish people who wanted the kingdom for themselves. Strong themes like conspiracy, greed, and magical exploitation are present in the book.

Also, the author did a good job of building suspense. There was an urge to read to the end to know what happened. This is particularly useful because this book is the first in the series. And just like it made me anticipate the follow-up book, I’m sure it’ll have that effect on other readers. Another point worth commending is the way the author incorporated modern realities into a book set in the past. Female judges and attorneys were working in the courts of Voulhire. Charlotte, the wife of Lord Eldon, was a public defender.

There were no negative aspects that I could point out in this book. The book was exceptionally well-edited because I did not find any errors. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story was easy to follow, the plot was rich, and the book was well-edited.

I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy stories. People who also enjoy reading books on medieval royalty should check this book out. I recommend it to a mature audience because of the violence and profanity in the book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Geraldokeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geraldokeke.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Geraldokeke »

This book looks promising and I enjoy reading books about self discovery
Beautiful review.
Ben Filla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-filla.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Ben Filla »

This is a story of a young man who has never known peace. His story is one everybody can relate to.
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

I can't explain why but this book is giving Aladdin vibes. Galen sounds like a relatable character every reader would love. Magical tales and fantasy add a perfect touch to the story line. Nice review!
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

One thing I enjoyed about this book was the adventure and the fictional place, Voulhire. I was fascinated by the villain, Meldorath. Galen was also another character I enjoyed reading about his actions. Great review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

The information in this book was organized clearly. The author's use of language was both historically accurate and utterly genuine. The book's introduction was detailed and incredibly direct, jumping right into the plot. It's full of suspense, action, epic fantasy, and self-discovery.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Wow. The way you started your review sounds like the prologue that is always said at the beginning the film "Merlin". Books like this surely have a way of making day, and I will love to read someday. Thanks for the captivating review
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I like that Female judges and attorneys were working in the courts of Voulhire. Charlotte, the wife of Lord Eldon, was a public defender. It shows the writer creditable view of women and that is incredible
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

As a lover of fantasy, I think I would read this. This book promises a lot of suspence, and I would like to read about the things Galen would find out in Voulhire.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

Seems like an interesting story of magic, powers, adventure, opportunity and learning. Galen might struggle with adjusting to Voulhire, but I believe he would do great and overcome his struggles. Can't wait to try the book out. Nice review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I am not a fan of the books genre so I am wouldn't be reading the book. But, I enjoyed reading your review and have a clear understanding of what the story is about. Welldone!!!
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I love fantasy books. The kingdom of Voulhire seems to have captured my interest. I look forward to reading all of Galen's adventures in Voulhire. Beautiful review.
Geraldokeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geraldokeke.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Geraldokeke »

This book offers a clear glimpse into a new world filled with wonder and adventure. Galen is my favorite character and I believe that the author has a unique message with this piece.
Nice review!
Thompson Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thompson-grace.html
Latest Review: Give insomnia the finger by Dr Feel Good

Post by Thompson Grace »

I keep skipping this book due to the book cover to me it wasn't enticing. But am glad I came across this review which pointed out the fascinating theme to expect while reading. Am adding this book to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

To me, this story has a dark plot to it. It’s somehow confusing and also interesting. I’ll like to see more Galen in the rest of the series.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”