Review of Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World" by Kristie Schubert.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World by Kristie Schubert is a children's book that adults could also enjoy reading. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Steel, Bonnie, has just begun eighth grade at Marville Middle School. She is occasionally stubborn and disobeys orders because she is a young child just transitioning to adolescence. But she does enjoy reading and often goes to the store with her father.

Because Bonnie's mother was celebrating her birthday, she needed gifts to present to her mom, so she went shopping with her father. Bonnie purchased a book for herself when they arrived at the store. Before going to bed, after they went back home, Bonnie read some of the stories from the book and had a dream in which she was a character. She and Anna both appear in the story as swans, just like in the storybook she was reading. Anna informed Bonnie that Evil Rothbart had transformed them into swans. She had the name Odette in the story, and she could only break the enchantment by kissing a prince. In the dream, Bonnie must decide between staying in the dream to help a prince in need and leaving to return to the real world.

This novel has the feel of a collection of stories connected by Boonie and her family. Swan Lake is the first narrative, followed by Sugartowne and Looking Glass World. The author, Kristie Schubert, wrote beautifully about the town, the food, and the people. I adore how the author focused her narrative on a theme that everyone could identify with. This book has many lessons that adults can also learn in addition to the lessons it would teach children.

There are some negative aspects to this book that I took note of. First, the character development in this book was shallow at first. The first storybook world that Bonnie went to was really not well developed or paced. Also, the pace was dull and slow. The first few chapters of a book are supposed to draw the readers in and not pose a resistance.

Furthermore, I found some errors while reading this book. They are obvious errors, requiring this book to be re-edited. I would recommend this book to readers over the age of thirteen. I think this book was meant for readers younger than that age, but some concepts like wormholes mentioned in this book will be difficult for them to understand. I am rating this book 3 out of 5 stars because of the above reasons.

Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

Your summary and analysis were well-written and provided a great understanding of the book's themes and characters. Your review of the book was a joy to read. However, the storyline just doesn't appeal to me, so I don't think I'll be able to read it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, though. I'll definitely be on the lookout for your future reviews.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

Based on the review, I have no doubt that this book would be a great read and have added it to my list. Sugartowne sounds like a place I would love to read about. This review is well-written and provided a detailed overview of the book, which gave me a good sense of what to expect. Irrespective of all your dislikes, I'm willing to read it for myself.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Bonnie seems like a growing adolescent. Thanks to the author for an honest review. But I still think that children might enjoy. I will like to know Bonnie's encounters in these worlds she visited in her dream. Inviting.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Bonnie's adventures is engaging and extremely interesting. It's fascinating to discover that the author described the town, their food and their people. It's sad to know that the book got a low rating because of its poor character development.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I hope Bonnie will be renewed after she returns to the real world. Experiencing a character in the storybook in the fantasy world would be bewildering and terrifying. Surely this book would be educative to potential readers. Great review!
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

The strength of the book is the vivid description of the town, the food, and the people. The author brings the town to life, making it easy for readers to picture the setting in their minds. Additionally, the inclusion of different types of food adds a nice touch of cultural diversity to the book.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Perfect review! Come to think of it, if and adult had this much difficulty in reading a book meant for kids, it means the book needs to be looked at.
If I can't easily assimilate and get the point you're trying to pass, I'm sure kids would have a much harder time.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley

Post by Salome Ogani »

It is good to point out some negative aspects of the book, such as shallow character development, a slow pace, and obvious errors that require editing. Your recommendation for readers over the age of thirteen is also helpful
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

Books that could be impacted on but adult and kids but still a bit difficult for children to comprehend should be looked into or better still get the storyline modified.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

On the positive side, one of the strengths of Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World is the universal theme of the stories. The author explores themes such as the power of imagination, the importance of family, and the courage to face challenges. These are themes that both children and adults can relate to and learn from.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and review of Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World by Kristie Schubert. It's great to hear that the book has a universal theme that both children and adults can relate to and that the author writes beautifully about the town, food, and people.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I hope Bonnie will be renewed after she returns to the real world. Experiencing a character in the storybook in the fantasy world would be bewildering and terrifying. Surely this book would be educative to potential readers. Great review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

Bonnie's Adventures in a Storybook World has its strengths and weaknesses. Despite the flaws, it has a universal theme and vivid descriptions that make it a worthwhile read, especially for younger readers.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

One of the weaknesses of the book is the shallow character development at the beginning. It takes some time for the characters to become fully fleshed out, which may make it difficult for readers to fully connect with them.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”