Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Not available anymore »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

My first attraction to this book was its cover; it looks artistic yet confusing at the same time. The book has 49 pages and is not divided into chapters. Zarqnon the Embarrassed, wrote Of Zots and Xoodles.

The writer decided to use Zarqnon as the nomenclature for the authorship of this book because he found it amusing. The author is someone on the autism spectrum and only discovered this when he was around other people, who found it amusing. The author is someone on the autism spectrum and only discovered this when he was around 40. He is someone who challenges the norm. The illustrator of the book is also on the autism spectrum and also legally blind, but he believes in art and loosening up, allowing the brain to roam freely and creatively instead of allowing anxiety. The book starts with Theodil entering a room where he gave a presentation of the results of his experiments to an audience that seemed critical and impatient. He gradually gained their attention and amazed them with the transformation of zots into xoodles. Did Theodil manage to win over the audience? Read this book to find out.

One thing I like about this book is that the author is real. Sometimes people with a particular syndrome shy away from expressing themselves, but I like that the author owns up to his condition as well as his beliefs, and though his beliefs may sound weird to the average normal person, I like how he still wants to be real. This book is deep, and mere reading won't get anything out of it. The book requires a lot of patience, and I had to read at a slow pace so that I could understand and get the message in the book. The book contains many illustrations as well. I saw this book as a huge challenge for me as a reader because it's not the kind of style I'm used to. Nonetheless, it was expository in the sense that it opened my eyes to the fact that different writers express their acts in different ways and that no two books can be the same.

I could relate to the author's thoughts on the future; I agree with him when he talks about the future preexisting; I feel that way sometimes; I wish we could know our futures so we could erase mistakes and avoid making bad decisions. Another part I liked was the one where a character named Child responded to the audience wisely.

I don't like that this book is abstract; many of the thoughts in it are not relatable, and it's not written in terms that are easy and clear to understand. Some of the terms in this book are also highly advanced, and the illustrations are similarly abstract and challenging to grasp. In my opinion, a book like this ought to have a glossary, which this one lacks. Due to its intricacy, I gave the book a rating of four out of five stars; nonetheless, the book was exceptionally well-edited, and I found no errors while reading it.

I recommend it to audiences who enjoy sci-fi, physics, and science in general, as well as to readers who would like to try out a book that is entirely different from the norm.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

I've read this book and I admit that it does not use simple English words but special scientific terms. And explaining them in a glossary would have helped.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed is one book that does not resonate with the kind of books I read. Will pass this along.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

It is sad that the author is an autistic patient. But, I love his zeal though am not a fan of his. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

I love what this book is focused on but I feel like it will be too complex for me, and because of this I think I'll give this book a pass. Thanks for the review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

I was also attracted to this book by its cover. However, the interest partially ended there. The diction and structure of the book sometimes confused me. Great review.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

The book cover is attractive no doubt, but after I read the first ten pages of this book I was totally confused. It is nice to see that you understood the book. Congrats
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

The fact that this book talks about autism has endeared me to it. I've always been someone who is interested in people on the autism spectrum. Great book. I'd give it a read
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

It is true that Sometimes people with a particular syndrome shy away from expressing themselves, but I also like that the author owns up to his condition as well as his beliefs, and though his beliefs may sound weird to the average normal person, I also like how he still wants to be real. This book is truly deep, and like you said mere reading won't get anything out of it. The book requires a lot of patience, and I like that it contains illustrations.

This is a beautiful take on a complex book
Great review
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I read this book. The book is ok but one thing I did not enjoy the babout ook is the complex calculation. The author should have made it in a way that everyone will understand it.
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anna_1203 »

The cover seems strange, before reading your review I thought it was a comic book. The title is confusing too, but I am intrigued. Thank you for your great review.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I admire the author's courage in not allowing autism become a limitation for him.
Ben Filla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-filla.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Ben Filla »

I think the author of this book might be a genius or a fantastic writer. But he seems he's too good that he wrote something most readers find difficult to understand.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I simply love this review and the fact that you said the author owns up to his conditions and believe even if it isn't accepted by people's norm.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”