Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amandaruth Ama
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Everything in Cynthia's life altered the minute she communicated with Sky. Given that Sky was a complete stranger to her and that there was a security breach when he approached her, it was an odd way for them to first meet. Cynthia recognized that something had been ignited in her by Sky, even if her relationship with Dan quickly went from bad to worse after that. Dan was exposed for what he truly was from that point on, but Cynthia's conscience kept bugging her for sleeping with Sky.

On the day Cynthia met Sky, a significant event that appeared to be a threat to US national security, even though no one had yet recognized it as such, had happened. A drone crashed near the Capitol and made a scene, which contributed to the traffic jam. Cynthia promptly took on the investigation, and she and her brother Glen, with the help of two IT geniuses, Tim and Garth, discovered a vast network of terrorists. They rolled up their sleeves to engage in cyberwar in order to thwart the planned attacks. How well will Cynthia handle this task ahead of her while managing the conflict between two lovers in her life? Find out when you read Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer.

This novel has some things I love about it. I was initially curious as to how things would pan out for Cynthia. She had to work hard with her colleagues to bring the terrorists down while juggling her personal and romantic life, as well as trying to stay hidden and unnoticed. Her courage and drive particularly impressed me, but I questioned their relevance given the situation she had put herself in on a personal level. I must say that, overall, the story kept me so invested in it. The author did a fantastic job with the setting, character development, and overall plot. There were no annoying cliffhangers, and the transition from one scene to the next was so skillfully done. However, the suspense was still there.

There were a few aspects of the book that I didn't like. The strange romance between Cynthia and Sky comes first. The author doesn't seem to have given any thought to what it may mean for Cynthia to fall in love with someone she met in an unusual way. The protagonist of the story wasn't as well developed as the other characters, despite the author's best efforts. In another circumstance, it would have been acceptable, but given the main character's field of work, I believe it was not the best choice. The book's title is just another aspect I dislike. Given the book's storyline, I don't think many readers would be drawn to pick it up without knowing what's inside because of the amateurish title. As a matter of fact, Dan did not perform a role that made him deserve to appear in the book's title. I am rating this book 4 out of 5 stars for the aforementioned reasons.

I would recommend the book to readers who are into suspenseful and romantic crime and terror thrillers. While I read this book, I did not encounter any errors in it. This shows that it was exceptionally well edited.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

The review was a fantastic read - well-written and engaging. It provided a great summary of the book without spoiling anything, and I appreciated the thoughtful analysis of the characters and themes. I especially love how the main character of the book (Cynthia) was analysed.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Your observations about the plot, characters, and themes of this book, Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer, are amazing. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the book's strengths and weaknesses.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

What an incredible book! I'm so impressed by the way Dorothy May Mercer combined suspense, romance, and cybercrime in Cynthia and Dan. I'm also amazed by how she managed to shed light on how terrorism impacts people. This book will keep readers on the edge of their seats with its intense suspense and action. Iwould recommend it to mature readers who love good romance books and those who enjoy reading terrorism and cyberwar books. I enjoyed reading your review of this book! Thank you for your honesty.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I enjoyed reading some parts of this lengthy book. Ghoulem led an almost good life, and he truly sort peace in all his endeavors. That is worthy of imitation. Great review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I have read this book, and I must say that the concept of cyberwar was new and interesting to read about. However, some of the characters were a bit underdeveloped. The title of this book also needs improvement. Beautiful review.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

This review of Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer is wonderful. I'm a bit confused about the weird love between Cynthia and Sky, but I'm sure that this must have been intentional and it makes the book unique and spectacular. I'm also glad that the book was exceptionally well edited.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer was a book that had a compelling and unique storyline. Unfortunately, the book had some negative aspects I didn't necessarily like. Your review is well-written. Well done.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Cynthia and Dan is a book by Dorothy May Mercer. It features crime, action and romance. I enjoyed reading the book although Cynthia's insecurity issue angered me. Nice review as always.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

It's great that they were able to work together as a team to put a stop to cybercrime. I appreciate the straightforward language and well-written story, but I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the way Cynthia dumped Dan in favor of Sky. Great review!
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I’ve read this Dorothy May Mercer's novel, and I must say that I'm intrigued!, and I think that has an important lesson for readers. I did find some aspects of the book that I don't enjoy though. It is a great book for fans of crime fiction and romance fiction. Thanks for the review!
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

I recently read this book and I must say I'm intrigued. It is an exciting story with a lot of action and a great message about teamwork. I'm especially interested in the cyber crime aspect and the way you tackle it in the book. Nice review.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html

Post by Samuel Songs »

Thank you for your review of Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer. I agree that the book should have focused more on the cyber war than on the romance. Additionally, I think the book was too heavy on profanity and sexual content, making it inappropriate for younger readers.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

Your description of the book's characters is well-written and informative. Your analysis of Cynthia's character development throughout the book is insightful, and your comment about how she seems immature and juvenile is a valid point.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

What you said about the book's simple and childish feel is perceptive and adds depth to your review. It shows that you have a good understanding of what makes a book engaging and sophisticated. I appreciate how you've mentioned the book's well-edited nature. This is often an overlooked aspect of a book, but it's crucial to the reading experience.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”