Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The memoir Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin details exhilarating family adventures in the African sea. Tina, along with her husband, Peter, and their two sons, sets out on a long adventure. Tina exposes readers to the horrifying events they had during their ocean voyage in her memoir. In the book, Tina's life before the journey is described, along with how she met her husband and the events that led to their transatlantic journey. Readers will be astonished, captivated, and amused by the author's surprising information regarding their antics. Get a copy of this book to learn more about Tina's incredible journey.

The author's writing style is what I adored most about this book. Her descriptive account of their journey helped me to picture it in my mind's eye, giving me the impression that I was present when these things happened. Compared to other memoirs I've read, the book stood out because of its distinctive writing style. The author's past, difficulties, and abilities are all depicted in the book. The author describes her experiences with being raped, losing a child, and having health issues. Despite everything she has been through, Tina has the will and fortitude to appreciate the beauties of life. It made her stronger and more determined, rather than making her bitter and rejecting the world. 

I was shocked by the horrifying encounter they had on their expedition and found it to be really disturbing. I don't think I'll ever go through with this because it seems so terrifying and hazardous. In the ocean, they came upon several large creatures. It was very cute to see Tina interact with the dolphin. The book reflects the author's courageous attitude. Also, the love they have for one another in the family is described in the book. This is a journey of self-discovery, healing, and letting go of traumatic experiences. No matter what life throws at the readers, this story will inspire and motivate them to take control of their own lives.

The family traveled across the Atlantic to South Africa and back to the Bahamas. They had incredible encounters ranging from the waves on their boat to their encounters with the shark and land animals. Tina and her family grew to appreciate Africa and its surroundings, realizing it was not what they had imagined. 

There is nothing I disliked about the book. It is well-written and offers important ideas that many readers will find compelling. I appreciate how the author honestly describes her life and doesn't hold back on any specifics. As a wife, mother, and cancer sufferer, I could see her dread of losing herself. As a result, I rate the book five out of five stars. The book is exceptionally well edited. There were no mistakes that I could find. I recommend this book to anyone going through a difficult time as well as adventure seekers.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinex Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinex-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Chinex Otuokere »

Great MEMOIR. Your review is well summarized. One can get an insight into the book. My favorite quote which, I think, well describes the Dreffin family is “Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.” by William Shakespeare.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I have read this book and I agree with your rating. Tins Dreffin is a wonderful story teller. I had a great time reading the book. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I haven’t read the book, but I have read several reviews of it. In my opinion, the most terrifying part would be undertaking the voyage with multiple teenage boys.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Tina Dreffin lived an adventurous life, I wonder what it would be like to experience what she had experienced. This review gives a details summary of the content embodied in the novel. Nice review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Your review is on point! I enjoyed their cigar throughout Africa, especially in the wilderness where they met different animals. Great review!
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This is a fantastic book. I have read this book before and I love how Tina and her family embarked on the lively adventure. Good job.
Breedbee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breedbee.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Breedbee »

I sure will like to read this book. The family bond, self - discovery, courage, adventurous life are themes I love about this book. This review is very explicit. Great review.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

I remember this book as I have read it some days ago. The whole plot and the authors writing style made the story a dreadful one, and I like the book for that.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Tina's parents moved alot whole she was growing up and it was not easy to make and keep friends as she didn't know how long she'd be staying at a place.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

As a travel memoir, this book not only entertains but also educates, as the author shares her knowledge about marine life, sustainable living, and the importance of preserving our natural environment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”