Review of Tour of Duty

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Review of Tour of Duty

Post by Blackstenius »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tour of Duty is a historical fiction book by William H. Coles. Inspired by true events, the book follows the story of Miles Ballard, a newly graduated American doctor who, after being drafted into the military, is inducted to serve in the US Air Force. Miles is posted to the American military base in Chateauroux, France. The story begins with Captain Miles arriving in Paris, France, where he is received by Ingrid Stern, a tour guide for American military personnel. After he's arrived and settled at the US Air Station in Chateauroux, Ballard is assigned the much-dreaded and hated role of being the army general’s personal physician.Tour of Duty is a touching story riddled with both happy and sad moments. Through the numerous dialogues and interactions of Miles –and his American counterparts– with the French natives, the reader is given a nice history lesson about the French War during the Cold War era.

The book was, of course, insightful and educational; I learnt some new things about the Holocaust and the mid-20th-century war in France. One of the best things about this book was its unexpected ending! I was pleased that it ended so well for Miles. I loved the author’s masterful use of suspense. It makes the story unpredictable, thereby making the narrative much more interesting. The author’s use of dialogue is also commendable; he employs this stylistic device so skilfully to bring out historical facts about the French wars.

Generally, the story was touching. I liked the characters of Miles and Ingrid. Miles' integrity was admirable; he doesn’t compromise it no matter the repercussions. His boldness towards the feared Colonel Springer was also outstanding. Above all, I liked Miles for his compassionate and caring nature. I was moved by the way he selflessly assisted Clementine and saved her from death. On Ingrid's part, she is kind, cordial and friendly. She is also loyal and non-judgmental. These are great traits for any human being. Even after Emily has insulted and disrespected her, Ingrid agrees to help her reach out to Ballard. Even though she personally doesn’t like Emily, she still assists her. I also liked her (Ingrid’s) genuine concern for Alyce’s well-being, regarding her private life.

I loved the book in general. The only downside was a few typos, but they were minor ones. That’s why I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars .

This book is perfectly suited for lovers of history. Also, people who like the literary device of dialogue will love this book, as the author uses dialogue exceptionally well in this book.

Tour of Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Sounds perfect for historical fiction lovers. It also looks like there is a good balance between war information and characters stories. I'm impressed by your review and makes me want to read it!
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 07:04 Sounds perfect for historical fiction lovers. It also looks like there is a good balance between war information and characters stories. I'm impressed by your review and makes me want to read it!

You're right, it had a perfect balance of war info and the characters' personal stories, and I think this contributed to my enjoyment of the book as it'd have been somewhat dull and perhaps boring if it was just plain war facts. Thanks for the read!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Blackstenius wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 09:17
Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 07:04 Sounds perfect for historical fiction lovers. It also looks like there is a good balance between war information and characters stories. I'm impressed by your review and makes me want to read it!

You're right, it had a perfect balance of war info and the characters' personal stories, and I think this contributed to my enjoyment of the book as it'd have been somewhat dull and perhaps boring if it was just plain war facts. Thanks for the read!
My pleasure! I truly value your opinion on books based on what I've seen. Happy reading. Looking forward to your next review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”