Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Craig W. Stanfill's book, Terms of Service, provides an intriguing and perplexing window into a potential future civilization. It portrays a society that has been streamlined and helped by several artificial intelligence technologies.

In Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill, Kim struggles to abide by the terms of service that apply to her and all of humanity. She lives in a world where AI is prevalent. But when Kim learns it was all a delusion and that something even worse is poised to seize control of her, things begin to fall apart. Through the highs and lows of this experience, Kim gradually learns who she really is. Kim fights to regain control of her life and independence as she is forced to choose between a dull but comfortable life and a joyful but unfortunate one.

One of the things I appreciate most about this book is how the author demonstrates how those in positions of power have an impact on how and what people think. This book was undoubtedly a fascinating read that was successful in getting me to reflect on the potential negative future of our own civilization. The fact that Stanfill was able to sustain my curiosity throughout the entire novel really pleased me. The level of detail was just right to keep the reader's imagination engaged without detracting too much from the main plot. It is also important to note that, unlike most science fiction books and novels, this book's literary style is easy for all readers to understand and appreciate. People who are or have been compliant teenagers with rebellious hearts would likely identify strongly with Kim.

The "genderless" usage of pronouns was the component of the novel that I found to be the most objectionable. I'm not sure if Panglobal is a real language or if it's just made up to describe how one pronoun is used, but it made the characters somewhat unrelatable. The usage of a single pronoun and the notion of a society that attempted to be "genderless" bothered me.

A mature audience interested in AI would benefit from reading this book, in my opinion. Additionally, readers who are fascinated by technology or science fiction will also enjoy this novel. Anyone who is on the path of discovering and embracing their genuine selves will greatly benefit from reading this book, as Kim is a character to look up to. There were no grammatical errors in this book. This shows that it was exceptionally well edited. I will be rating this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the negative aspects I stated above.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I completely love your assessment of Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill. It is an incredibly well-written and well-edited book and I can see why you gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I also appreciate how you brought up the genderless pronouns and how it impacted your reading experience. It's definitely something I will keep in mind if I ever decide to read this book in the future.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I have read different reviews of this book. I sincerely we don't come to a time when our lives are controlled by AI. Wonderful review well done.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Terms of Service by Craig W Stansfill was an engaging and interesting book. I love the plethora of knowledge I got to have about AIs. But I loathed that the AIs controlled the lives of the characters. Well done.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I enjoyed the story in "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill. It actually shows that trusting artificial intelligence to run our life's has dangerous consequences.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

Books like this are my favorite I love books on technology andevelopment so therefore, I would definitely love to read this book.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I’ve read different reviews on this book and I’ll say that I’m intrigued. I really can’t imagine a world controlled by AIs. This will be a good opportunity to know one.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This book is a trend of the era we are in now therefore anyone who cares about the future would have a nice time reading this book. As it portrays future technological advances.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Terms of service talks about the story of Kim and her Artificial intelligence controlled life and world. Would like to read one day. Great review!
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Living in a world of AI would be too weird for me. I'm glad it was a delusion and await Kim's response to the truth. Interesting plot, great review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I think that this book takes us into the future. As the reviewer said, it will be more appealing to lovers of sci-fi, so I'm going to pass. Well-detailed review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand. Thanks for an honest review. Artificial Intelligence will surely help a lot in this present times.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

Kim's life sounds very interesting. What's AI? How was her former life? How did she rebel? I would like to know the answers to these questions and more. Great review.
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

I have heard, and watched movies about artificial intelligence. But I haven't come around to reading or even finding a book that talks about artificial intelligence. I guess I've come to the end of my search. The storyline sounds very interesting. I'm curious to know what happened after Kim's old friend returned. Great review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm glad I came up with this book. Aside from escaping to the real world, it increases my knowledge about AIs. Though the author was introduce AIs with a bit of pessimism but yes, it is working some of the scenarios of the book these days. When he introduces the final notes, haha, I thought, yes really? Am I Kim or Kimberly?
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”