Review of Final Notice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abimbola Oladokun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-oladokun.html
Latest Review: Diabolus In Musica by Richard Rees

Review of Final Notice

Post by Abimbola Oladokun »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One of the very few beauties of death is the fact that no one knows when theirs is going to come. But what if we did? What if we could determine how the last minutes of our lives are spent?

The story starts with Vince and Trudi Fuller, a retired elderly couple living in Pasadena, California. Though Vince seems upset, his agitation (and probably excitement too) increases when it comes on the TV that seniors are being allowed ownership of firearms for their safety. Coupled with the fact that there was a report of a shooting that claimed 12 lives in an elderly home, Vince begins to wonder that if he had a gun in his possession, would the events that happened earlier that day have been in his favor?

Scientist, Vijay Patel has just invented what could potentially be the greatest device to ever be created, a watch that can inform its user of when they're going to die 30 days prior. This watch is called the VT2. Now that possession of firearms has been legalized, especially for the elderly, one could only imagine the chaos that is sure to ensue when you have regrets, a death notice, and a weapon.

Final Notice by Van Fleisher stretches the delicate fabric of science and pushes the boundaries of understanding the human mind and its emotions. The author challenges the concepts of life and death while emphasizing the fact that regrets and anger are huge driving forces when it comes to doing reckless and dangerous things. It is a known fact that in the world we live in today, women, children, and the elderly are the most vulnerable targets for human brutality. Giving them the means to defend themselves only seems fair, doesn't it? But the phenomenon of gun ownership is a double edge sword that could be used for both good and bad, depending on the user.

One of the many reasons why I enjoyed reading this book is because it shows just how crazy people can be when they're on the cusp of dying. Death challenges our morals and values, and it comes to a point where everything we stand for is tested. The characters were easy to fall in love with, especially Vince and Trudi. Even when faced with unfortunate and life-changing events, they stood their ground and stayed together all through. They are an example of what is good and right in the world.

Another plus for me was the editing of this book. I didn't come across a single error while reading, and it made the flow of the story a lot easier. There's no particular thing I can pinpoint and say I didn't like. I am giving this novel a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because anything less would be a disservice.

I think action and sci-fi lovers would enjoy this book and I would recommend it to them because I think they'll fall in love with it just like I did.

Final Notice begets the question; What would you do if you had 30 days to live?

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joy Max
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-max.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott

Post by Joy Max »

This is a really good review. I'm currently reading this book, and it I agree with your review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”