Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samuel Songs
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Samuel Songs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book, Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures, is about two siblings who were made to stay in California while their parents left for an African mission. Donny needed special attention because he had congenital disabilities. As the story began, Donny went missing while visiting the zoo with Mary Grace and their parents. Donny's parents and his sister looked for him, although they struggled to control their emotions as they did so. Thankfully, others decided to assist in the search for him. Everyone was relieved when Donny was located, and his family vowed to exercise greater caution. However, they will leave for Africa and be there for a long time, leaving their kids in California. Will Donny and Mary Grace be able to adapt to their new environment in California?

I had a great time reading this book. Its discussion of Down syndrome was, in my opinion, an unquestionable high point. Rarely, if ever, are people with special needs depicted in children's books or fiction. However, Cathrine A. Pepe did it superbly. Her depiction of Donny is sympathetic and instructive. Donny is a lovable character who has both virtues and shortcomings. He is satisfyingly whole, and not just his Down syndrome defines him. The other characters are also interesting. Mary Grace's character was also beautifully developed. She has close relationships with the people she loves, and despite her early difficulties, she gradually overcomes them and finds her true self. Her relatability will appeal to young readers. Another notable aspect of this book is the friendships and pleasant interactions the characters have.

Even though this is a fictional story, Catherine Anna Pepe informs us that Donny exists. A sibling of hers has Down syndrome. The hospital urged her parents to keep their child in an institution so that he could receive care. But Donny's parents chose to raise him on their own. As a result, he has received their affection. Children with Down syndrome and Donny served as inspiration for this book.

The book's wording was fluid and straightforward for me to read. The logical progression of the plot, in my opinion, was the best option for a children's novel. It wasn't overly complicated. The writing style was straightforward and contained the perfect number of big words to assist young readers' vocabularies. The book's primary mood is upbeat and lighthearted, with sporadic injections of darker subjects like despair and bullying.

I give Catherine A. Pepe's Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures 5 out of 5 stars. There were no errors in the book, which shows that it was exceptionally well-edited. The perfect rating is based on the fact that it has many positive qualities and no negative qualities at all. I would recommend this book to teachers for use with their pupils. There are enough lessons to be learned from this book. Furthermore, they would benefit from it since the book teaches kids how to maintain empathy for one another, which is especially important for kids with special needs. Additionally, the book's simplicity makes the topic suitable for kids.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I appreciate the parents of these lovely kids or training them in the way of the lord from an early stage. I enjoyed reading your review. Welldone
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Reading your reviews is always a pleasing experience. I love the kids in this narrative are brought up in the right and acceptable way. Well done.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe tell the story of serving God while managing our life challenges. Donny's parents have to manage to live with their children who is diagnosed with congenital, while serving God at the same time.
Elmien Sinclair 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmien-sinclair-1.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Elmien Sinclair 1 »

I enjoyed the story of Donny and Mary Grace's adventures in Califo. I think both adults and children cam learni
Elmien Sinclair 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmien-sinclair-1.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Elmien Sinclair 1 »

I enjoyed the story of Donny and Mary Grace's adventures in Califo. I think both adults and children can learn valuable lessons from this book.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

Nothing beats family love. I love how detailed your review is easy to read and understand. Keep it up.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love the care Mart Grace show her brother here. A lot would have been ashamed of Him, to the extent of hiding from him in school, but she was ready to defend him at any time. Nice review!
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Donny and his sister must have felt sad to be left alone in California. I look forward to reading all about their adventures. Beautiful review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I really felt for Donny and Mary Grace, but I think they did very well where they went to eventually. The characters were well-developed and beautifully played their roles.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

This book is a children's book with lots of lessons to learn. It is great to read another review on this. Mary Grace is a young girl with a nice attitude. Her behaviour is truly emulating. She also showed care to her brother which was so nice. Thanks for this review.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

This book was truly remarkable! I absolutely loved how Catherine Anna Pepe was able to create such a wonderful story for Donny and Mary Grace. The character development was fantastic and I felt so connected to the characters. I also really admired the lessons that were present throughout the book, like not judging a book by its cover.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I am impressed with the author's portrayal of her characters, especially Mary Grace. She seems to act and react like other kids her age would, and I loved that. And of course, I can't forget to mention the lessons this book teaches. It will be valuable for children to learn those lessons.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

I'm glad that it includes a character with Down syndrome and that it's written in a way that is accessible to young readers. I love how the book teaches empathy and I'm sure it will be a great resource for teachers. I can't wait to read it.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html

Post by Amy Toria »

This book sounds amazing! Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures sounds like a great story with a meaningful message about empathy and acceptance. I'm so glad that books like this exist, because it's so important to show kids with special needs in a positive light. I'm definitely going to check this book out.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”