Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a detailed memoir that gives readers an inside view into the author’s life. Growing up in Algeria, Berrah always knew that he wanted to impact the world. After studying medicine, he decided that his higher calling was to pick up diplomacy. But that was not all there was to Berrah’s life of service. Other feats include serving Ivory Coast in a diplomatic capacity and leading the freedom movement in Algeria. All of Berrah’s adventures, and even some of his misadventures, are chronicled in this book, A Dream for Peace.

One way to describe Dr. Berrah is “well-rounded.” It is no doubt that readers will be inspired by following the writer’s journey over time. By keeping and honoring friends from different backgrounds than his own, Dr. Berrah gained an insightful view of the world. His wife is a Catholic Christian, even though he is a devout Muslim. He also had friends from other religious backgrounds. This holistic open-mindedness that was so evidently part of Berrah’s life found its way into the pages of this book. Berrah used his words in a manner that showed authority and an awareness that he wields power as a leader. I found his style of writing perfectly suited to the inspirational events that had happened to him thus far in life.

However, what was even better was that the author also included his tragedies, which brought his human side to light and made him more relatable. For instance, I found out that the author was once chased by the police for allegedly leading a revolutionist movement against the government of France, where he was studying to be a medical doctor. There were times the author had to be on the run, and there were times he erred as a human being. Seeing such vulnerable sides of the writer made his wins seem even bigger and made me want to celebrate him more for his accomplishments, no matter how little they were.

Another aspect of this book that I appreciated was that the author, because of his diplomatic position and having a front-row seat to several political events, also shared some political inside stories that readers would not have known otherwise. His political tips were priceless and delightfully detailed, and the book received exceptional editing. The photos and documents he included made my reading experience much better. For almost every significant memory he shared, there was a photo to drive the event home.

However, even though the central theme of this book was about maintaining peace, unity, and respect for all people, regardless of political or religious background, I detected an exclusivist tone towards the USSR, which the author incorrectly referred to as Russia (the USSR, now defunct, was made up of other countries than Russia). Nevertheless, my rating is still 5 out of 5 because what I noted is merely subjective. This book is best suited for readers who enjoy memoirs about influential and inspirational people.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hakeem nuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hakeem-nuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hakeem nuel »

This is a well written review. I learned about the independence of Algeria.
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

Dr. Berrah Ghoulem's storytelling prowess shines in A Dream for Peace, painting a vivid picture of a world yearning for harmony.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

A Dream for Peace challenges conventional thinking and offers a fresh perspective on the interconnectedness of global peace.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

Through meticulous research and engaging prose, the book offers a comprehensive account of the events leading up to Algeria's independence, providing valuable insights into the colonial era.
Adewakun Akinwalere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adewakun-akinwalere.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Adewakun Akinwalere »

This book taught me about Algerians independence and colonialism. it was a worthwhile experience.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”