Review of Apollo's Raven

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Apollo's Raven

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven is a very fitting title for an entrancing tale, containing religious escapades, political strifes, and the beautiful, yet tragic, historical clash between the Roman and Celtic people. This tale takes place in Britannia, as the Roman Empire is expanding its power across the channel to the lands of the Tribal Celtic Kingdoms. These two societies are vastly different, challenging the heroine, Princess Catrin, every step of the way as she attempts to foil the future and maintain a type of peace on her lands. She is forced to confront the ways no one dares to challenge. Who is right in their thinking? As a leader, what is too great a sacrifice? How can she ensure the continuation of her kingdom when the title of ruler has been held from her? With the ability to be great and leave her mark on the world by squelching a prophecy foretold at her birth, Catrin must decide if life now is worth the lives of the future. To be a white raven can mean to be pure, good, and peaceful; but it also symbolizes the ability to be different, to survive unnatural circumstances, and to rise above the darkness.

This book will entrap the reader in its pages, as conspiracies propel a Roman Romeo and Celtic Juliet on an enchanting, tumultuous journey through mystical woods and unknown worlds where two souls can become one. The past is an intrinsic part of our present, but very few attempt to fully uncover and understand it. Through extensive research the author, Linnea Tanner, gives the reader a glimpse into the world of old, shaping her characters to the historical evidence left behind. The biggest shock to the reader could be relearning pieces of history. Realizing not every empire or kingdom, may have been as great as the movies made them out to be. The audacity of the past can enlighten the future, even through historical fiction such as this, which makes you question what you would do in the heroine's shoes.

Depending on the reader, the detailed scenes could be considered too graphic. I see this as a positive quality, for Linnea Tanner is able to pull her readers into a true past where everything was not all wine and roses. Besides this, I can not find any other negative aspects of the book. The story flows very well once you gain an understanding of where you are, to which a map is provided, and distinguish your main characters.

I rate Apollo’s Raven a 5 out of 5 stars. This is a fantastic read full of alluring mysteries, even the villain is put into a new light as the plot builds. Linnea Tanner has provided the reader with a fulfilling foundation to build her characters as the series continues.

I would highly recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy mystical, historical fiction. Due to the detail used to build scenes, not only of a sexual nature but of a violent one as well, I would not recommend this book to young adult readers. In addition, there is a good deal of profanity throughout the book. Apollo’s Raven would be ideal for historical romantics, who enjoy a bit of mystery and mythology mixed in. Additionally, this is the first book of a series, Curse of Clansmen and Kings, for those who enjoy delving into a more intricate tale that will last longer than a day.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

Roman Romeo and a Celtic Juliet. A story of young lovers who can't be together because of circumstances beyond their control. I will love to find out if they can pass this hurdle.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

Kaylee Samuel wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 14:28 Roman Romeo and a Celtic Juliet. A story of young lovers who can't be together because of circumstances beyond their control. I will love to find out if they can pass this hurdle.
I enjoy Romeo and Juliet themed stories for that reason. Can the new Romeo and Juliet surpass their predecessors in what I consider intelligence? Though even in today's day and age, the young and old do preposterous things because love is blinding :eusa-think: It is a relatively light and enjoyable if you can find the time for it :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”