Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samuel Songs
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Samuel Songs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Taylor, who had lived in Chicago, was compelled to relocate to Petersburg, Russia. It is extremely disturbing and demeaning that all he was told about his uncle's demise was that he had disappeared. Uncle Randall's attorney, Boris, assisted him in contacting a cleaning service after he had the unpleasant experience of being pushed down by an unknown man when he entered his uncle's flat. After some time of contemplation, he proceeded to a neighboring hotel, where he met some meteorologists. A guy by the name of Captain Oleg Gustinov informed him of the reason for the news of his uncle's death. Will Dr. Taylor identify the true reason for his uncle's death?

I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book's first section. I was eager for the characters to leave on their journey to Zona. The convoy is vividly described by the author, and as a reader, I was rooting for the characters to make it through without incident. There are vicious predators around as the expedition goes on. There are parts of the narrative that have elements of a traditional horror story, including plenty of gore. I cherished the notion of undiscovered creatures existing in a region of the earth uninhabited by humans.

In a way, it's good that the first section of the story doesn't reveal too much because the rest of it, especially the third section, is rather unexpected and startling. I'm not sure what I anticipated, but I didn't anticipate this narrative taking the turn it did. It has its dramatic moments, unexpected ones, and completely perplexing ones. I found these feelings to be enjoyable because they contributed to the story's appeal and kept it intriguing.

My favorite part of Zona: The Forbidden Land is the fantastic character development. I applaud Fred G. Baker for this work's meticulous character development. Over the course of numerous pages, Taylor's activities, the people around him, and the interesting country of Zona that he travels to are all portrayed in depth. Baker must have spent a lot of time and effort creating the environment for the novel, and his use of descriptive language gives the plot complexity.

Due to the sexual content, I wouldn't recommend this book to younger readers. Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a fantastic novel for anyone who enjoys science fiction and fantasy. In fact, I didn't find any errors of any type while reading this book, not even grammatical ones. This demonstrates that the book was exceptionally well edited. I didn't find anything in this book to be unappealing. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons mentioned above.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I completely agree with your review! I love the way you summarized and analyzed the book. This book is like an incredible adventure with a lot of characters and a vivid setting. I love how Fred G. Baker combined science fiction and fantasy in this book. It was amazing!!
Marvellous Ekenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvellous-ekenna.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Marvellous Ekenna »

I love suspense and books that instill curiosity. So. I am definitely going to read this book. Already, I am clamouring to find out the real reason behind the death of Dr Taylor's uncle. I love how explicit the review appears.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

This review was so spot-on! I was sold on the book from the second I read it and I'm definitely going to give it a read soon. I'm sure I'm going to love it just as much as the reviewer did. I'm so glad that this book was well-edited, because I hate when books are full of errors.
Emmanuel Ota
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-ota.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Emmanuel Ota »

A lovely and interesting review.the review tells how fascinating Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is,I will love to discover the cause for the reviewer satisfaction.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

This review is spot on! I was so excited to read this book.. It sounds like it has all the elements I love in a book - adventure, mystery, and a vivid setting. I can say that this review did justice to the book. Ths land of Zona was magical.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

This review was amazing! I am so impressed by the way you summarized and analyzed this book. It sounds like an amazing story with a lot of interesting characters and plot points. I am definitely going to be checking this book out later.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I'm really looking forward to exploring the world of Zona and the characters within it. Thanks for the recommendation! I can definitely understand why the book wouldn't be recommended it to younger readers due to the sexual content.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

This is an excellently written review, job well done. Keep it up. I look forward to.reading more of your reviews. I know exactly what to expect from this book.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

After reading this book I was a bit disappointed about some decisions made by grant but I guess this is what makes the book unique. This is a very informative review.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

This is an excellent review of Fred G. Baker's Zona: The Forbidden Land. I especially appreciate the attention to detail in the character development and the setting of the story. I'm definitely intrigued by the plot and will be sure to pick up this book in the future.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I'm also interested in learning more about the main character's point of view and the secrets he uncovers. I'm sure this book will be an exciting adventure. Thanks for such an in-depth review.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I really enjoyed reading this review of Zona: The Forbidden Land. The reviewer did an excellent job of summarizing the book and analyzing the plot, characters, and setting. I especially appreciate the detail given to the character development and the description of the setting.
Nmesomachi Ambie
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesomachi-ambie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nmesomachi Ambie »

I love a book filled with adventure, suspense and mystery and this book seems to have it all. I really enjoy reading this review and I look forward to reading Zona:The forbidden land.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I completely agree with this review. I was captivated by the characters and the setting of Zona: The Forbidden Land. Baker's descriptive writing and character development are truly remarkable. I found the plot to be intriguing and the journal format to be unique.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”