Review of Burn Zones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Burn Zones

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Being an entrepreneur is very demanding and frequently leads to financial loss and dashed hopes. Jorge P. Newberry had a significantly different life than most people, from delivering newspapers as a teenager to owning almost 4,000 apartments. But, of course, no story is so simple; everyone stumbles at some point, and what matters most is how they get back up. Unfortunately, a 52-acre apartment development that was Newberry's pride and joy was nearly damaged by an ice storm, ushering in one of these low points. While he was rushing to handle the insurance claims and restoration work, pipes were at risk of bursting, trees had fallen throughout the property, and several rooms were without heat.

During his competitive cycling career, he coined the term "burn zone" to describe the most difficult sections of a race that will set you apart from the competition if you make it through them. Throughout the book, Newberry describes the difficulties he encountered in his life, including his early forays into entrepreneurship, bike races, apartment ownership, and the debt he racked up during that crucial ice storm.

In the novel, Newbery identifies as a person who prefers to suffer alone. I got the impression that he is just not an emotional guy. Whenever he has significant negative feelings, he tries to conceal them and carry on as though everything is fine. I didn't anticipate him letting the readers fully experience his emotions for that reason, but he surprised me. One more of my favorite things about the book was how he could be so honest in the latter half of it.

One of this book's biggest assets is its conversational tone. Readers can get involved in Newbery's story right away. He writes in the introduction that the first few chapters tackle the reality of massive barriers while simultaneously enticing readers with the promise that they can succeed despite the most trying conditions. Readers will be inspired to keep turning the pages because of the hope and optimism that make them feel as though they are with him, listening to his narrative. The author also used his family photos quite well. Although his writing style is sufficient to keep readers interested, the visuals give the book an additional dimension that sets it apart. The ice cream bike that Newbery rebuilt and decorated as a young child was still in immaculate condition, and readers can see what Newbery's parents looked like.

Jorge P. Newbery's book Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is incredibly well-written and a true pleasure to read. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the book. Despite being non-fiction, I think this is a narrative that even people who aren't huge fans of the genre would enjoy. It would be an excellent pick for those who want motivational stories that inspire them to pursue their goals tenaciously and passionately. There was nothing about the book that I didn't like. It was exceptionally well edited, as I did not encounter any errors while reading it. Consequently, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

When you say "Despite being non-fiction, I think this is a narrative that even people who aren't huge fans of the genre would enjoy."

It makes me find the book interesting
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I highly recommend Burn Zones to anyone looking for an inspiring story of resilience and determination. Jorge Newbery's autobiographical account of his life is an inspiring testament to the power of never giving up, no matter the odds. From his early days as a paperboy to his professional cycling career to his eventual success as a real estate mogul, Jorge demonstrates the power of asking for what you want, being adaptable, and never giving up. He also offers a critical analysis of his own background and the historical context of police brutality and the attitudes of white Americans towards African Americans at the time. With its thoughtful and honest narrative, Burn Zones is an inspiring and thought-provoking read that is sure to motivate readers to persevere in the face of adversity."
" book reviewer.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

Through his experiences as a paperboy, ice cream cart operator, professional cyclist, and real estate mogul, Jorge speaks extensively about historical instances of police brutality and the attitudes of white Americans toward their African American counterparts at the time.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Everyone stumbles on their journey to becoming who they feel they ought to be. Your decision to pick yourself up every single time you fall ensures you achieve your goals.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of the Edge by Glenda Harrison Creasy

Post by Salome Ogani »

I like how you used the author's experience of riding a bicycle to illustrate how burn zones determine who wins and loses. It's a great analogy that readers can relate to and understand.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Stars in Our Hearts by Kylie Welch

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

If you are an individual looking for a book that shares personal experiences about how to actually overcome life challenges them I feel burn zones is for you.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

I like how you rated the book 5 out of 5 stars, indicating that it's an excellent book worth reading. It's a great recommendation for anyone looking for an inspiring read. Your review is well-written and engaging. It's a great example of how to write a book review that captures the essence of the book and the author's journey.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

Your review is relatable, and it shows that you connected with the author's story on a personal level. It's a great motivation for readers to read the book. I admire how you provided a brief summary of the book, making it easy for readers to understand the author's journey. It's a great way to introduce the book to potential readers.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

Your personal reflection on the book is relatable. It's inspiring to see how the author's story has influenced your life positively, especially in times of difficulty. I agree with you that the road to success is not easy, but with determination, we can overcome obstacles. The author's story is a reminder of this, and it's a great inspiration for readers.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html

Post by James Smith_ »

The way you described the author's experience of starting an ice cream shop at a young age is intriguing. It shows how determined he was from a young age, and it's an excellent motivation for readers.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I appreciate how you emphasized the author's sense of passion throughout the book. It's inspiring to see how he was able to channel his passion into achieving his goals. Your review of "Burn Zones" is well-written and engaging. I love how you provided a brief summary of the book, making it easy for readers to understand the author's journey.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I appreciate your honesty in mentioning that you enjoyed every other aspect of the book despite your objection to the author's early work experience. Your review is well-structured, and the flow of the story is seamless. It's easy to follow and connect with the author's story.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I like how you mentioned that the book has a wealth of knowledge that would help many readers. It's always great to read books that provide valuable insights and lessons that we can apply to our lives.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

Your recommendation of the book to anyone struggling through the numerous trials of life is perfect. It's a great read for anyone seeking inspiration and motivation to overcome life's challenges.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”