Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan is a book by Dorothy May Mercer. It is the tenth book in the McBride series. With the world being ravaged by crime and terrorism of various kinds, Cynthia and her brother Glenn try to think up a plan to put an end to it.

Cynthia and Glenn try to think up a plan to dismantle terrorists' use of cyberattacks to terrorize people. Their major plan is to use social media to counter these terrorists and confuse them. Cynthia knew that only she and Glenn needed help to carry out this secret mission themselves, so she enlists the help of a computer wizard she knows from work to create a functioning team.

Cynthia has a job as chief of security, investigator, and bodyguard for Senator Mike McBride, as well as a part-time receptionist job, which she keeps as a cover. On a faithful day, Cynthia encountered a police blockade that caused quite the traffic and ruckus, with people moving hurriedly away from the capitol building. She didn't know what was happening, so she asked a passerby to find out more. This passerby happened to be Sky Eastman, a tall, handsome, well-dressed man who, after seeing how pretty and naive she was, decided to calm her nerves by leading her to a nearby coffee shop. Sky helped her better understand what was going on, and they had a good talk afterward, which led to them sharing an intimate night together over at his apartment. This meeting with Sky and her spending the night at his place made Cynthia miss her date with her boyfriend, Dan MacIntyre, a police officer, with whom she had been in a long-term relationship, and like you're already guessing, he was unhappy and worried about her whereabouts.

I liked how the whole story was told; the linkages between scenes were just wonderful. I appreciate how the personalities of each character are well-defined; it helped me better understand the entire story and link everything well. In this book, we see how the US constantly tries to act as the police of the world and worry that all terrorists are after the safety of its citizens, and how they try to show they can keep the world safe all by themselves.

There were things I disliked about this book. The book title was really misleading. Looking at it, you'd think the entire book is centered on the love story of Cynthia and Dan, which was not the case. There were parts in the book where the entire story seemed to drift off its main storyline and go off course. I didn't like the character of Dan, as I saw him as a very insecure man, and Cynthia had her flaws too, as she made many irrational decisions.

I am rating this book four out of five stars because of my dislikes of the book as stated above. Likewise, I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors, which means the book was well-edited. Furthermore, I recommend this book to readers who love crime and romance stories.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

This is quite an interesting book and review as well. It is definitely a book tfull of suspense, drama and action. I have read it and it was worth every my time. I did have the same confusion as you though concerning the book title. Nice job.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like this book, for what it is. I only see it as a very entertaining story. If the reader really takes it seriously and attempts to learn lessons from it, it all falls apart.
New Nikky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-new-nikky.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by New Nikky »

I enjoyed the review you gave on this book. Cynthia and Dan is indeed a good book and with a good review the standard is increased. This therefore is a good review and I will like to read the book.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is a fast-paced thriller that has to do with working against terrorists. It’s an interesting book, though it lacks suspense. Great review!
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The book's cover page is quite intriguing that I cannot wait to read about the author's concept of cyberwar. Excellent review!
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I really loved the concept of a cyberwar proposed in this book. However, I didn't like the title because Dan was not a major character in this book. Interesting review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

Cynthia and Dan: Cyberwar is a book with an engaging and interesting storyline. The characters are also compelling. Well done.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”