Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fawmi FJumana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Emperor of Lullabies divided the islands outside his kingdom between his four sons to divert their conspiracy against him. In a short while, as the Emperor expected, the princes started a war against each other, using the native islanders as soldiers. Since the resources on the islands didn't provide an advantage over others, the war dragged on. Meanwhile, Voulhire achieved its golden age of prosperity under the wise ruler, King Wilhelm Arcolo. Voulhire is a kingdom with better technology, better protection, and a passionate ruler. 

Our protagonist, Galen Bray, is from the war-ridden land of Princes. He gets the opportunity to migrate to the great kingdom of Voulhire through a great uncle of his. Galen inherits a forge and a home from his late great-uncle. Galen is eager to start fresh in the new land. Will he be able to live in peace? Or will trouble find him? Is Voulhire without its own troubles?

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a well-written sci-fi fantasy novel. The author built the world of Voulhire from the very start of the book. There is a map of the kingdom included at the beginning of the book and an extension that leads to the author's website for anyone who wants to know Voulhire in depth. And the characters in the book are also introduced before the prologue, with their names and specifics. 

What I liked the most about the book was the author's simple yet intriguing and engaging writing style. And I like how the author built up the characters throughout the story and introduced them through dedicated chapters. And each chapter dedicated to a particular character is narrated from a third-person point of view. But Galen's narrative is told from a first-person point of view. The difference made Galen's character stand out more for me. And I also like that the author included humour in the book through various characters. And the intrigue and curiosity made me unable to put down the book. 

While I have plenty of positive words about the book, I don't have anything negative to say about this amazing sci-fi fantasy. I was transported to the kingdom of Voulhire through the book. And in my reading, I didn't find any errors. So I can say the editor did an exceptional job on this one. I give We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies a rating of 5 out of 5 stars since there's no reason to give a low rating. 

I recommend the book to sci-fi fantasy series fans. The book would be suitable for an audience older than 15 due to some themes in the book, such as violence and child abuse. And the story would be a bit intricate for a younger audience. 

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I understand how a king would want to send his sons away for his own safety even though it caused great wars In times like these, power was more important than family ties. Galen seems very grateful for his good fortune.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

Amy Luman wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 10:41 I understand how a king would want to send his sons away for his own safety even though it caused great wars In times like these, power was more important than family ties. Galen seems very grateful for his good fortune.
Agreed or the sons would have eventually fought for the kingdom maybe.
Joshua Kameta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-joshua.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Joshua Kameta »

Now, this is the kind of novels I like. I totally understand how greed for power can turn families against each other. I believe the king did what was best for his kingdom and him. Nice review.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

Cam Joshua wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 21:14 Now, this is the kind of novels I like. I totally understand how greed for power can turn families against each other. I believe the king did what was best for his kingdom and him. Nice review.
Thank you and hope you get to enjoy the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”