Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Park Cherri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A fictional book titled Zona: The Forbidden Land describes journeys into an unfamiliar land in the Zona (Zone) region of Siberia. Due to the risks involved, this location is not recognized as existing. A young guy in his early 30s named Grant Taylor, a university professor who lives close to Elmhurst, Chicago, has just been invited to Saint Petersburg, Russia. As the legal heir to his uncle's estate, he is invited to attend to clear the property's legal paperwork. After a year of being gone during a scientific excursion to Siberia, his uncle Randall has been pronounced dead. He discovered several treasures, some journals detailing his previous travels, and an enigmatic note while searching around Uncle Randall's house.

In order to find the missing persons and complete the exploration, the administration has decided to embark on another expedition to Zona. Grant, who has misgivings about his uncle's attorney and his niece Irina, chose to accompany them. Grant, Irina, and a few other zoologists, botanists, and security personnel are returning to Zona under Colonel Volkov's leadership. Colonel Volkov was the sole survivor of the previous expedition. Read about their exploits in this page-turning book by Fred G. Baker.

Honestly, this book is a lot of fun. However, the beginning took a while because the author had to set up the characters and provide some suspenseful information. As the expedition progressed, the plot grew more intriguing and captivating. I liked how Fred G. Baker described the sights they encountered on their tour, including the weather, the landscape, and the various creatures they saw. The animals were magnificent in my mind's eye based on the description, and I questioned whether the author had ever seen anything like them.

This book has an incredible plot and character development. The story progressively transitioned from peaceful to extremely violent events. It made the reader more interested. The cooperative spirit among the non-rebellious characters is appealing to me. It lessened Volkov's workload. My favorite character in the book is Grant, a very intelligent man. I was wondering if such plants actually exist that may heighten one's senses and emotions like in this story. This article was well-written.

I didn't like how the author painted Volkov from the start of the book as a horrible guy before revealing to the readers that he is not the one to be on the lookout for. The fact that Grant has several sex partners is another thing I dislike. Other than that, I have no complaints about this book. I still give Zona: The Forbidden Land 5 out of 5 stars despite this complaint. I really enjoyed reading this book. There were no mistakes found. It is exceptionally edited.

I'll suggest this to readers who enjoy romantic, science-fiction, and action novels. They will undoubtedly appreciate this.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a book that while reading it, I wished it never ended. It has such a wonderful storyline. With the explanation of how beautiful Irina was, I wished I could see her face in reality.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

So who turned out to be the bar guy? Or was there no bad guy?. Anyways this book seem interesting, but isn't it too risky to go to a place not known to exist?
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I love this book but I was touched by the missing of the well known scientist. This book taught me a very big lesson. One of which is not to trust anyone. Good job.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

The plot was interesting. Their was good character development, although I wasn't really feeling the protagonist. The first chapters were very suspenseful, but after a while it became boring. The story kept dragging on and on. Overall, it was a good book
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

I hope this young guy accomplishes his mission. Just wondering how he was able to make it alive in the course if searching for his uncle's house.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Grant Taylor's mission sounds intriguing, and I wonder what he and his team will encounter along the way. Your review definitely makes me anticipate the story even more. Well done.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I have read this book and I appreciate the author's writing style. I like how Grant was concerned about looking for his uncle despite the money he could have gotten if he wasn't found. Your review is apt!!
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

The start of this book is already enough to grasp any reader's attention. A missing expedition? What happened to Uncle Randall? I'm especially impressed by Grant who went into the great unknown in search of his uncle Randall. Thanks for the review.
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

I admire the courage of Grant Taylor to go to the expedition in order to search for his missing uncle. Nice review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker is an interesting fictional story that details the story of a college professor, on a mission to find his alleged missing uncle.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G Baker was an alluring and engaging book. The best parts of the book that I Ioved most was the expedition to the land of Zona. It felt like I was there with them.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

This is an interesting story about Grabt and his search for his uncle. He and others went into Zona, a strange land, in search of his uncle. Great review.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I love the way you wrote your review, as it gave me more insight into Grant Taylor's task and his life before the request to take over his missing uncle's property.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

I love how the land of Zona was portrayed in the book. I wish such a place can exist in reality. The author did well in the plot structure. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”