Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a story about five female friends, their friendship, challenges, and life stories, as well as their shared love for the sport of fly fishing. The group comprises Rose, the eldest, who is an expert in fly fishing. There is Veronica, who is the CEO of her company and whose husband is a chef in a big restaurant. There is also Sophie, who just moved to Colorado and owns a greenhouse. Amanda is a teacher who has two kids and a husband who has been deployed to Afghanistan. And lastly, Melody, whom the group rescued from the river on one of their fly-fishing expeditions. She is a talented young fellow who is very good at art, music, and photography but is kind of a rebel. The book takes us through the bonding phase of these friends and how they help and support each other through difficult stages of their lives.

I enjoyed many aspects of this book. The author used descriptive language to make the scenes in the book real to the reader. I could almost see the river in Roses' cabin and hear the calming sounds of the water. The storyline was well thought out. The characters were also very well developed. The author wrote different scenes from each of the characters' distinct voices and perspectives. This helped me understand each of the characters on a deeper level. The themes of friendship and women’s empowerment were present in the book. I enjoyed the motherly role Rose played in advising and encouraging her younger friends.

The only thing I disliked about the book was that so much information on fly fishing was given in it. There were so many fishing terms that were explained, which, in my opinion, were unnecessary. It distracted the reader from the main purpose of the book.

The above reason, however, is not enough for me to deduct any stars from this book. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. My rating was high because I loved how women’s friendship was portrayed in the book. I also learned a few lessons about life. The book was exceptionally well edited as I found no errors.

I recommend it first to people who enjoy books with female protagonists. I also recommend it to women because the book gives tips on how to battle some challenges in parenting and marriage. Overall, I believe that just about anyone will enjoy reading this book.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

I love the way females bonded in this book and became a support for each other. I love how they helped each other out through difficult times and gave words of advice to each other.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Favour Ozone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

I enjoyed the friendship portrayed by the women. I also learned a lot about fly fishing from reading this book. I had a great time reading the book. Great review.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

One thing I love most about this book is the kind of friendship shared among the women. I have never heard of fly fishing as a sport. Thanks for a great review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

The bond shared by the ladies in Reel Sisters gave a soothing ambiance to the book. I love how detailed their experiences were and I looked forward to seeing them overcome them. Thanks for the well written review.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

As someone who is a firm believer in true friendship, I believe this book will be a worthwhile read. Furthermore, I would like to learn a few things about fly fishing.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

These five woman are quite an interesting group. I am sure that their friendship will be an interesting one, filled with both bitter and sweet. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the invite.
David Samanthaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-samanthaa.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by David Samanthaa »

Michelle Cummings has a talent for writing with empathy and insight. The Reel Sisters delves into the complexities of female friendship with grace and authenticity

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”