Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Killing Abel: Fratricide is Michael Tieman's creative take on the Bible's story of how the world was made. It spans from the serpent's temptation of Eve to the great flood that ravaged the earth. The book tried to expand on these stories by filling in the gaps that the Bible didn't elaborate on. Have you ever wondered what happened to Adam and Eve after their expulsion from Eden? What happened to Cain after he committed the world's first atrocity?

The book delves deeply into the history of the creation of man, starting with Adam and Eve and ending with Noah when the mighty floods swallowed the whole universe. As a noble father filled with love and compassion for His children, God does everything to ensure the survival of His creation. Through procreation, Adam and Eve bore multiple generations, and through love, passion, curiosity, and an incessant desire to explore, they tilled the land, built cities, and set up worship places to offer sacrifices to God. Cain's rage and jealousy drove him to kill Abel, while Noah's devotion and faithfulness inspired him to construct the ark. When he added unusual, enormous figures known as "Nephilim," the author piqued my interest. These characters' primary function is to assist Noah in building the ark.

Although fictional, Killing Abel: Fratricide is a concrete portrait of God and his creation. The challenges faced in parenting or children's upbringing regarding God the Father would, in no small way, serve as a great lesson to parents. While we go about our everyday lives, it is of the utmost importance that we not forget the past. The neglect of history will indefinitely recycle pain, hurt, mistakes, and grief, impeding future growth. This was duly captured in the book, and I appreciated that.

However, I have to say that although it was a pleasant read, it was a bit slow at times, and with that comes the risk of losing the thread. All the fillups were becoming boring with time. It seems like too many words were used just to prolong the whole story. Many times, I picked up the book only to drop it. It was a relief that I finally finished reading the book. For this reason, I am rating the book 4 out of 5 stars.

The editing was professionally done, as I only found a few minor errors. I recommend this book to any reader who likes reading about fascinating interpretations of the Bible. Killing Abel: Fratricide was chronologically arranged, and the sequence of the book's content was consistent with the Bible's narration.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

"The editing was professionally done, as I only found a few minor errors. I recommend this book to any reader who likes reading about fascinating interpretations of the Bible".

Those words from you make me want to read this book the more.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

This review was very well written! I love how you managed to summarize the plot and analyze the book without giving away too much. You also highlighted the themes and the main characters. I can definitely appreciate the effort you put into this review. It is clear that you enjoyed reading the book and I'm sure many people will be encouraged to read it after reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to write this review!"
" admiration
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

Killing Abel by Michael Tieman is an engaging and thought-provoking story that emphasizes the importance of storytelling in passing knowledge about the human race to future generations. The story presents God as a loving father who has occasional regrets and gains wisdom from experience.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

I had no idea Noah had help building the ark. The account most of us know of is that he was mocked for doing do when there was no sign of an incoming flood. This author sure did a great deal of research plus his imaginative skills to produce a book like this.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Salome Ogani »

The narrative demonstrates how gracious God is and how he is not happy to see his children die without the chance to change their ways. Furthermore, the excellent editing ensures that the flow of the book is smooth and entertaining.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I never imagined that Cain and Abel had siblings and I enjoyed reading this book. How could I have taught of this. Thanks to Michael for sharing his personal research on biblical stories.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

The book is expertly edited and the writing style is engaging and easy to follow.I recommend it to readers of all ages. It is especially beneficial to those struggling with guilt and seeking to return to God.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

This book is an excellent retelling of the creation story from the Bible. Michael Tieman's writing style brings the characters to life and the story is full of emotion and drama. Killing Abel emphasizes storytelling's value in passing knowledge about the human race to future generations.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

I'm definitely going to add this book to my to-read list and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to explore the biblical account of the creation of man and woman. It presents God as a kind father who occasionally has regrets and gains wisdom from experience.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html

Post by James Smith_ »

The narrative demonstrates how gracious God is and how he is not happy to see his children die without the chance to change their ways. It presents God as a kind father who occasionally has regrets and gains wisdom from experience.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

Killing Abel: Fratricide is a great example of how fiction can be used to explore complex philosophical and theological concepts in a way that is both entertaining and enlightening. The concept of exploring gaps in the Bible's narrative is a fascinating one, and Killing Abel: Fratricide does this admirably.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

Killing Abel: Fratricide is an excellent example of how creative interpretations of ancient texts can help to shed light on complex theological concepts. The book's depiction of God as a loving and caring father figure challenges traditional portrayals of a vengeful and punishing deity.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The book's themes of love, sacrifice, and faith are universal and resonate with readers of all backgrounds and beliefs. Tieman's writing style is accessible and easy to follow, making the book an excellent choice for readers of all ages.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

The book's exploration of the concept of fratricide is particularly relevant in today's world, where violence and conflict continue to plague societies. The inclusion of the Nephilim as characters adds a unique and fascinating element to the story, bringing to life an obscure biblical reference.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”