Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book, A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador Memoir, by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, is based on his actual experiences and traces his life's journey as he fights for Algeria's independence and freedom. Algeria was a French colony when the author was born, and French culture, language, and religion were prevalent there. His mother raised him in Ain Beida. She cared for him and put a high value on his education. After completing elementary school, he was given a scholarship that allowed him to attend any university, and he decided to study medicine at the University of Bordeaux.

Due to his academic and political involvement in Algeria's liberation, his university life became stressful. As they organized into groups for Algerian independence, his work grew. They decide to start a strike, which prompts the police to pursue him and accuse him of starting the strike. The book contains many details about this man's life. It would be best if you read it to find out more.

The fact that the book's narrative seemed true made me joyful. The photos that were strewn throughout the book were fantastic. This helped me visualize the author's activities and the people he interacted with, which increased its realism for me. The language in the book is quite simple, making it easy to read. This was essential to my enjoyment because the book was so lengthy.

While some might have chosen to emphasize themselves in their memoirs, Dr. Berrah preferred to portray President Houphouet-Boigny as a nation's leader, precisely as he was, in a rare display of humility. It is not that the president was not up to the position. However, as a result, I was captivated by this quality throughout the entire book. I believe he had resolved at some point to concentrate only on the president's accomplishments. Indeed, the fact that he traveled the world to represent the president of Ivory Coast was evidence that he had gained the president's trust.

There was no negative aspect to this book. Hence, I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars. Even though it was lengthy, it was intriguing to read about Africa's war for independence from the account of someone who was there at the time. Geopolitical issues, such as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, were brought to life and transcended the status of mere historical footnotes. The author was a fascinating character because of his tenacity and compassion, which were evident throughout the book.

The use of descriptive language is intriguing and aids in grasping even the most minute details. I couldn't have asked for a language that was easier to understand, and the terms used are also very simple. Since I found only a few errors in the book, I can conclude that it was professionally edited. In my opinion, people interested in Africa's history should read this book. Students studying history will also benefit from reading it.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

This book sounds absolutely amazing! Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's unwavering dedication to his country's freedom is truly inspiring, and his activism activities are commendable. I love the detailed approach in which the author describes things, and the pictures of most people in the book were a great addition. The author's honest and open approach to his life is also admirable, and I respect his determination and resilience. I'm definitely going to check this book out, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to learn about African history, activists, and readers who appreciate political books."
" admiration
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

The author's academic achievements and how he used his education to fight for his country is truly admirable. It's great that you highlighted the author's patriotic determination to liberate his country from colonialism. That's truly inspiring,
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Lightning Child by Quinn Lamothe
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Honestly, this book needs to sit in the high places alongside other well-known historic books. In the end, history books are all written from a personal perspective.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Salome Ogani »

The fact that the author is a physician, as well as a freedom fighter and peace activist, is truly impressive and inspiring. I appreciate that you were able to find positive aspects of the book, even with some errors. It's a testament to the author's story and message.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Timbria & The Magical Meadow by K. Cupp

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I really commend anyone with positive traits such as honesty and the fact that he was sent to represent the president shows that he was really of good fundamental background.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

Thank you for mentioning the author's diplomas and personal photos in the book. It adds a personal touch to the story and makes it even more engaging. Your review has helped me appreciate the struggles and sacrifices that the author and others like him went through to fight for their country's independence.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

Your review is very well-written and provides a comprehensive overview of the book's content. It's clear that you put a lot of thought and effort into writing it. I like that you highlighted the author's patriotism and bravery in fighting against colonialism. It's important to recognize those who have fought for their country's freedom.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

I like that you recognized the author's message about the importance of dialogue over war. It's a message that we can all learn from and apply to our daily lives. Your review has made me appreciate the importance of learning from history and using those lessons to make a positive impact on the world.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html

Post by James Smith_ »

Thank you for your excellent review! It's clear that you are passionate about the book's content and that you put a lot of effort into writing the review. It's great to see a book that showcases heroes from different countries and backgrounds. It shows that there are people all over the world fighting for freedom and justice.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I appreciate that you recommended the book to activists, enthusiasts, and politicians. It's important that we learn from those who have come before us and use their experiences to make positive change.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

It's great that the author's message about peaceful dialogue is still relevant today. It's a reminder that we can all work towards peace and understanding. I appreciate that you recognized the author's academic achievements and how he used his education to make a positive impact on the world.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The acknowledgment of the book's writing style as detailed and descriptive is a useful guide for readers who appreciate a more immersive reading experience. The comment on the book's historical events and heroes is helpful, as it highlights the book's potential appeal to readers who enjoy reading about history and biography.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

Their comment on the author's contributions to the construction of mosques and cathedrals is a heartening reminder of the importance of building bridges between different communities. The reviewer's appreciation of the author's sharing of images in the book adds to the book's immersive quality and makes it a more enjoyable reading experience.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

Their recognition of the author's international scope and collaborations is an important reminder of the book's global perspective. Their comment on the book's coverage of various topics, including marriage, war, and religion, adds depth and complexity to the book's themes.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”