Review of In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review of In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In it Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes is a book that will guide you into the true knowledge of you. Who are you? What does the real you actually want? What are the damaging things you’re doing now that are sabotaging not only your present self, but your future self as well? This book will narrate your existence and help explain how to find that inner peace we’re all collectively searching for.

I found this book to be very calming and comforting. There were moments when I was reading that I just let the author’s voice become my own inside my head; it felt very light and transformative in a philosophical and spiritual way. I liked that his tone was sort of fatherly or like a friend, but in a way that was not overly bitter, condescending, or lecturing. The only thing I might have liked even better was if the chapters —some of them anyway— had exercises to help me put his wisdom into practice. The chapters near the end of the book that gave suggestions were probably the closest the book came to offering exercises.

All that being said, I really appreciated the helpful and clear descriptions of how and why people can abuse themselves in an endless cycle of addiction and how the reasons for this were simply that they lack internal peace. The chapter on temptation and its opposite was really intriguing to me. Temptation is something we all struggle with, but there are very few genuinely helpful suggestions for how to overcome these vices. I liked this chapter because it put a lot of things into perspective for me and made me think.

One criticism I might have is people not well-versed in philosophy could probably benefit from “solipsism” being defined at least once when the word is first introduced. I like philosophy, but I wasn’t familiar with this term. I’m glad I learned something new, but having the definition sprinkled in the chapter would have been more helpful.

The book had no errors. Most of the editing issues I caught were in the editorial praise section, which was terrific because it made the book a relaxing read. Instead of hunting for errors, I could simply enjoy the concepts Hughes was teaching. There was almost no bad language, only two minor profane words that were tolerable. I therefore rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. If you like a combination of self-help, motivation and philosophy, this book is an excellent choice for you.

In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

What a lovely review. I enjoy books that require us to reflect on our lives and the choices we make. I enjoy being challenged to think a little more in-depth about our views and choices. I will definitely be giving this book a try.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”