Review of Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Review of Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

Post by Arrow Shot »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard" by Nicola J Rowley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J. Rowley is a captivating young adult fantasy novel that tells the story of Minty, a girl who finds herself alone at school after her two best friends disappear on a school trip. One day, Minty discovers a mysterious coin that leads her on an adventure with Mug the Wumph, a wizard who uses dance to perform magic. Together, they set out to rescue Minty's friends from the evil wizard Grimacant.

Honestly, the best part of this book was watching the plot unfold, but the partnership between Mug and Minty was a close second. Their dynamic was entertaining as they faced challenges from Grimacant and the wacky magical items Mug used to solve them.

Another aspect of this book I loved is the illustrations. The illustrations in this book are mesmerizing and captivating. As I read certain chapters, I couldn't help but imagine the creatures coming to life right in front of me, as if I had my own magical powers. The author did an outstanding job crafting the story and organizing the plot, and I appreciate their use of easy-to-understand language. The plot was a lot of fun, and Minty's adventures are well-written and just long enough to keep readers interested. Also, the characterization was well done, as we learn about Minty through her thoughts and actions rather than being told about her. Finally, the author leaves room for future stories about Minty and her friends. I look forward to reading more about them.

As much as I loved a lot of things about this book, there was still something I disliked about it. At times, the author introduced ideas without fully explaining them, such as the meaning behind Mug the Wumph's name. More explanation would have helped further develop the magical world in the story. This is the only criticism I have about the book, but it is not severe enough to warrant reducing the rating. Hence, I am happily rating Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J. Rowley 5 out of 5 stars.

Overall, the writing in this book is outstanding, and it's geared toward younger readers, with a target audience of children ages eight to sixteen. I highly recommend it to children who love fantasy stories featuring wizards and other magical creatures. The vocabulary is appropriate for the age range. I'm glad to say that the book was exceptionally well edited, as I did not encounter any errors while reading it.

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

While I can understand the reviewer's concerns about the author introducing ideas without fully explaining them, I believe that this is a minor issue that does not detract from the overall quality of the book. In fact, it may even encourage young readers to use their imagination and come up with their own interpretations of the magical world created by the author.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

The illustrations in the book sound amazing and really add to the overall experience of reading the book. I appreciate the reviewer's comments on the characterization of Minty and the use of easy-to-understand language.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I like that you mentioned the lack of explanation for some ideas, as it shows that you're giving a balanced review. The fact that the book was well-edited is a good sign of the author's attention to detail. Your rating of 5 out of 5 stars speaks highly of the book's quality.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

This review was well-written and gave a thorough analysis of the book Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard. The reviewer did a great job of capturing the essence of the book without giving away too much of the plot.
Rose Lineani
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

It's good to know that the book is appropriate for younger readers, but still engaging for older readers. I like that you mentioned the lack of explanation for some ideas, as it shows that you're giving a balanced review.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

Your rating of 5 out of 5 stars speaks highly of the book's quality. I'm glad to hear that the author did a good job crafting the story and organizing the plot.
Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious and makes me want to read it.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

Your description of the plot and characters is very engaging. The partnership between Mug and Minty sounds like it would be a lot of fun to read about. The illustrations in the book sound amazing, and I can imagine them bringing the story to life.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

This is a children adventure book which would be very interesting for children. I don’t really understand the phrase about thoughts and actions.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

It's refreshing to hear about a well-written book for younger readers that is still enjoyable for older readers. Your review does a great job of highlighting the book's strengths.
Your review is very detailed and informative.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html

Post by Hartly Samsford »

I like that you provide specific examples to support your opinions. Your review shows that you really engaged with the book and gave it thoughtful consideration. Your point about the lack of explanation for certain ideas is very fair and reasonable.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html

Post by James Smith_ »

The fact that the book was well-edited is a good sign of the author's attention to detail. Your recommendation for children who enjoy fantasy stories is helpful. Your review has made me very interested in reading the book.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

The illustrations in the book were captivating and added an extra layer of depth to the story. The reviewer's comments about the characterization of Minty were insightful and showed that the author did an excellent job of bringing the character to life.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

The fact that the book is geared towards younger readers is great, as it encourages children to read and explore their imaginations. The reviewer's comment about the author leaving room for future stories is intriguing and makes me interested in reading more.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

The partnership between Mug and Minty sounds like a unique and enjoyable aspect of the book. I appreciate the honesty about the one thing they didn't like about the book. The - suggestion that the author could have explained certain ideas further is helpful feedback for the author.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”