Review of Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

Post by E Daves »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard" by Nicola J Rowley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When Minty, a young girl with a wild imagination, discovers a mysterious coin, she never could have imagined the magical adventure it would lead her on. Guided by Mug the Wumph, a friendly and wise creature from a magical world, Minty learns about the power of magic and is tasked with a crucial mission: to help solve the mysterious disappearance of children from her school. Recognizing Minty's potential and openness to the impossible, Mug the Wumph knows she's the perfect candidate to assist him in saving the children from the evil wizard Grimacant. Together, Minty and Mug the Wumph embark on an exciting journey to save the day.

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J. Rowley tells a unique story about Minty's journey that will keep young readers' attention. Who wouldn't want to discover a coin with mystical powers? The author masterfully weaves in elements of wizards, flying carpets, and books that provide instantaneous answers. The narrative starts with a bang, keeping the energy high throughout the story. The characters are endearing and depicted through charming illustrations, making them come to life for the reader. The story has an uplifting tone and exudes the classic lightheartedness of children's literature. The conclusion ties up all loose ends and concludes in a satisfying manner.

The lead character, Minty Taylor, is a delightful child and a great representative of the story's theme. The reader will find themselves rooting for Minty to overcome any obstacles in her way. This book is an appropriate choice for young readers as it does not contain any offensive language or mature themes. It was a joy to read, reminiscent of the literature I read as a child. The author, Rowley, has a skillful writing style and does not let the intended audience dictate the quality of the storytelling. That is, the book was well written, not minding that the target audience was children.

The downside to the story was that as it progressed, Mug's arsenal of powers and magical objects became more extensive. However, it begs the question of why he didn't utilize them earlier. Had he employed some of these abilities earlier, the outcome could have been resolved much faster. It feels a bit too convenient that Mug always seems to have a new power or object at his disposal. This made it seem like the plot was not properly planned. Because of this negative aspect, I am rating the book 4 out of 5 stars.

This book is good for kids over the age of seven because it has an advanced vocabulary and not many pictures. In addition, the editing is superb, with no mistakes or typos present. Hence, I would say that it was exceptionally well edited.

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I'm not really a fan of books about wizards and magic. However, since this one is a children's book, the contents will be mild and suitable for me. Hence I will give it a try. Thank you for providing this informative review.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

I wonder why those children disappeared. It's good to see some put to good use to find the children. I'm interested in this book because of how well this review was written. I look forward to reading the book.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

This review has definitely piqued my interest in the book and I can't wait to read it for myself. It's great to see more diverse fantasy stories that feature magical creatures and wizards. The fact that the book is written for a younger audience means that it could be a great way to introduce children to the world of reading.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

It's always a relief when a book is exceptionally well edited, so it's great to hear that the reviewer did not encounter any errors. I appreciate that the reviewer's criticism is constructive and doesn't detract from their overall positive view of the book.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

It's great to see that the author has left room for future stories, which means readers can continue to follow Minty's adventures. I can understand why the lack of explanation behind certain ideas in the story may be frustrating, but it's great to hear that it's not a major issue.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The review does a great job of summarizing the plot without giving too much away, which makes me excited to read the book. The fact that the book leaves room for future stories means that readers can continue to follow the characters' journeys.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

The reviewer's enthusiasm for the illustrations really makes me want to see them for myself. The fact that the book is well-written and well-organized is great to hear, as it can be frustrating when a book lacks these qualities.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

It's great to see such a well-written review that delves deep into what makes Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard such an enjoyable read. I appreciate the reviewer's attention to detail, as well as the fact that they were able to identify both the strengths and weaknesses of the book.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

This is an excellent review that really gives insight into what the book is about and what readers can expect. I love how the reviewer highlights the importance of the partnership between Mug and Minty in the story.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

The rating of 5 out of 5 stars really shows how highly the reviewer thinks of this book. I appreciate that the reviewer highlights the appropriate age range for this book, which will be helpful for parents looking for books for their children.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

It's great to hear that the book is appropriate for children's vocabulary levels, as this can make or break a child's interest in a book. The reviewer's praise for the author's writing skills really makes me want to check out more of their work.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

I couldn't agree more with the reviewer's comments about the illustrations. They are truly stunning and add an extra layer of depth to the story. The author's use of language is also noteworthy, as they were able to make the magical world of the story come to life without relying on overly complex vocabulary.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

this is a fantastic review that really does justice to the book and makes me want to add it to my reading list. The dynamic between Minty and Mug was a particular highlight of the book, and I found myself rooting for them as they faced the challenges presented by Grimacant.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

It's a well-written, engaging, and thoroughly enjoyable book that will keep readers of all ages entertained from beginning to end. Based on this review, I'm definitely interested in picking up a copy of the book myself and diving into the magical world of Minty and Mug.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”