Review of East Wind, 2nd Edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of East Wind, 2nd Edition

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd Edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

East Wind, 2nd Edition is the first book in Jack Winnick's epic Lara and Uri series. It is a pulse-pounding historical fiction story that blends action and thrills. This book is a must-read for those seeking an insightful look into the ongoing conflicts between the US and Middle Eastern terror organizations, with a heartwarming love story woven in.

The book revolves around a Hezbollah extremist group that devises an attack on the United States, communicating their plans through a university website. As the plot unfolds, Mossad agent Uri and FBI agent Lara join forces to decode the terrorist's online messages, determined to stay ahead of their dangerous adversaries. The dynamic duo embarks on a thrilling journey across the country, executing covert missions to thwart any potential threats to American lives. With relentless action and intricate plot twists, this book will keep you on the edge of your seat as the heroes navigate their way through the terrorists' meticulously planned operations, hidden from the world's view.

This book is a true testament to the author's brilliance and writing prowess. With a breathtaking cover that promises an adventure before you even turn the first page, East Wind, 2nd Edition is a feast for the senses. The characters in the book are truly unforgettable, each one richly drawn and fully developed. Winnick's skill as a storyteller is on full display as he effortlessly weaves a web of intrigue, ensuring that every character, no matter how many there are, has a significant role to play in the unfolding drama.

While I found much to admire in this book, a few elements detracted from my enjoyment. In the early stages, the introduction of numerous characters and multiple time shifts made it challenging to follow along and keep track of who was who. It wasn't until several chapters in that the action really picked up. Furthermore, I had trouble connecting with Lara and Uri's personalities, making it hard to become emotionally invested in their romantic journey. Because of these limitations, I would still give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

The pages are filled with non-stop action from start to finish, making it impossible to put down. You'll find yourself rooting for the heroes, cringing at the actions of the terrorists, basking in the warm and tender moments, and chuckling at the witty and sarcastic characters. This book is guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat, with no dull moments in sight. I did not find any errors while reading the book. This shows that it was exceptionally well edited.

East Wind, 2nd Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I appreciate your honest assessment of the book's strengths and weaknesses. It helps me set my expectations accordingly.
It sounds like the book strikes a good balance between action and emotion. That's something I always look for in a good read.
Your review has made me curious about the ongoing conflicts between the US and Middle Eastern terror organizations, which I admittedly don't know much about.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

It's refreshing to hear that the characters, even minor ones, have a significant role to play in the story. I appreciate your honest assessment of the book's strengths and weaknesses. It helps me set my expectations accordingly.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

It feels exactly like you are watching a movie while reading, it's an action-packed book. I like books that can keep me butt stuck while reading. Great review.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Lightning Child by Quinn Lamothe
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Honestly, I feel like if a book has many characters, it was carefully thought if and written down, showing the enticing skills of the author. Hopefully, we'll be able to easily get used to who is who in the book.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Salome Ogani »

The book's depiction of the terrorist group is nuanced and avoids stereotyping, showing the motivations and perspectives of the individual members as well as the group as a whole.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Timbria & The Magical Meadow by K. Cupp

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I really commend and appreciate Winnicks writing style and the development of each character. The only thing I would find unattractive would be multiple switching of scenes. It could be confusing.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in international affairs, political thrillers, and action-adventure novels. Whether you are a fan of the Lara and Uri series or a newcomer, this book is sure to satisfy.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

I appreciate the author's attempt to show both sides of the conflict, giving the terrorists a voice and providing a glimpse into their motivations. This adds a layer of complexity to the story and challenges the reader's preconceptions about the nature of terrorism.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

The chemistry between Lara and Uri is palpable and makes for some truly heartwarming and tender moments. The book's exploration of the emotional toll of espionage and undercover work is particularly poignant and adds an extra layer of depth to the story.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html

Post by James Smith_ »

The reviewer's mention of the book being well-edited is reassuring and gives me confidence in the book's overall quality. The book's intricate plot is a true testament to the author's skill in crafting a compelling story.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I appreciate the reviewer's honesty in mentioning the aspects of the book that didn't resonate with them as much, as it helps me get a more balanced perspective. The book's fast-paced nature is both exhilarating and exhausting, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I love the way the author has created a believable and fully-realized world in which the story takes place. The book's use of technology and its implications for national security add an extra layer of intrigue to the story.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The action scenes in the book are incredibly well written, and they will have you holding your breath and eagerly turning the pages to find out what happens next. The book is a great example of the power of fiction to shed light on important real-world issues and to spark conversations and debates.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

The author's writing style is engaging and accessible, and he does a great job of drawing the reader into the story from the very first page. The book is a great choice for fans of political thrillers and action-packed adventure stories.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”