Review of Jurisdiction Denied

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Jurisdiction Denied

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Jurisdiction Denied" by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Should a juvenile’s criminal record be sealed? Should minors be charged with felonies, or just handed over to a probation officer? Jurisdiction Denied, by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt, explores this subject.

The Barry James Nidorf Juvenile Hall was hardly a place for justice. The temperature in the building was very low and that made it uncomfortable. Another thing was that the presiding judge, Marty Goldstein, had other business on his mind, most of which had nothing to do with his job. When he did think about his job, it was about the excessive leniency with which juveniles had been treated lately, all due to the costs.

The focus of this novel was the juvenile justice system and its participants: accusers and accused. There were the juveniles involved in one case, Steven Averisi and Russel Sparrow, and a host of juvenile justice workers, including the Probation Officer on Duty at the Detention Center and the California Youth Authority. The problem was, all the officials were aware of rule violations, but they were not interested in stopping them. Violations were even encouraged.

I knew when I picked this book that it was part of a series. In the first part of the novel, there were too many references to things that happened in the previous novel without enough explanation, though, to make this a standalone novel. There was excessive use of the F-word and that did not impress me. It was as if other suitable words were not available. I also didn’t like the judge’s attitude regarding women. It was all women, too, not just those he worked with. Many times he focused on their body parts and not their abilities.

The action in this novel didn’t begin until around the middle. Up until that point it was just full of background information, which was way too detailed. The same things could have been discussed in a shortened version and still been relevant. That, also, would have had the side effect of making the novel itself shorter. The errors that I encountered made reading this somewhat difficult. I spent a lot of time figuring out what was really meant by the authors. It didn’t flow smoothly. I did notice at the end of Chapter Forty-one, the narrative changed from first person to third. It was only for one sentence, but it confused me.

I did, however, enjoy learning about the juvenile system and how some judges view it. I liked the friendship between Marty and Nate. They were willing to help each other with no questions asked. All the while, each of them was aware that one would not compromise his professional integrity for the other. I also really liked that Marty did everything he could to help the juveniles that came through his court. Helping included trying to get them appropriate medical treatment when necessary.

I recommend this to lovers of novels about judges and attorneys, as well as the justice system. Specifically, the recommendation is for those who have read the previous novel in the series, Jurisdiction Terminated, by the same authors. Jurisdiction Denied is definitely not recommended to younger readers. There is way too much profanity.

There were quite a few errors that I found during my reading of this novel (both incorrect words and incorrect punctuation.) The main characters here were well-developed and seemed to know where they fit in all of this. As a result, I will rate this 2 out of 5 stars. The mistakes kept me from being able to clearly understand this novel, and the excessive profanity really hindered my enjoyment of it.

Jurisdiction Denied
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Such a pity that there were so many negatives to this book because it actually touches on an important and sensitive topic of juvenile criminal records. I would argue that they were young and should be pardoned. But sometimes, they grow into hardened criminals who aren't willing to change their old ways.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 09:47 Such a pity that there were so many negatives to this book because it actually touches on an important and sensitive topic of juvenile criminal records. I would argue that they were young and should be pardoned. But sometimes, they grow into hardened criminals who aren't willing to change their old ways.
It’s hard to say. I could argue both sides. :tiphat:
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

It's sad that a book with such urgent message would be hindered by its poor editing. It's funny that violations of rules in the juvenile wards were encouraged. You did well to highlight your opinions regarding this book. Great review!
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Alex Reeves wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 11:07 It's sad that a book with such urgent message would be hindered by its poor editing. It's funny that violations of rules in the juvenile wards were encouraged. You did well to highlight your opinions regarding this book. Great review!
The premise was really very good. It just wasn’t well executed. :tiphat:
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

It is painful most time to face a challenge and not get the required justice you deserve. I love the summary of your review. It has encouraged me a lot. Good job.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"I also didn’t like the judge’s attitude regarding women. It was all women, too, not just those he worked with. Many times he focused on their body parts and not their abilities."

This is a very bad trait for a representative of any profession. Anyway, thanks for the well-written review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Flourish Sunday wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 05:34 It is painful most time to face a challenge and not get the required justice you deserve. I love the summary of your review. It has encouraged me a lot. Good job.
I think, even more so now. :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

SunVixen wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 07:05 "I also didn’t like the judge’s attitude regarding women. It was all women, too, not just those he worked with. Many times he focused on their body parts and not their abilities."

This is a very bad trait for a representative of any profession. Anyway, thanks for the well-written review.
He doesn’t do it in the presence of others, but wholly in his mind. That doesn’t make it better, though! :techie-studyingbrown:
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

If he gave importance to the bodies of his colleagues, and not to their abilities, this could make him a bad official. At least he had the brains to keep his mouth shut. :mrgreen:
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an interesting book that portrays the Juvenile system. It’s disheartening that violence is encouraged when it should be a system to uphold moral behaviour. I will add this book to my TBR. Thanks for the captivating review @Amy Luman
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Mercy Udeokeke wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 21:11 This sounds like an interesting book that portrays the Juvenile system. It’s disheartening that violence is encouraged when it should be a system to uphold moral behaviour. I will add this book to my TBR. Thanks for the captivating review @Amy Luman
It could have been an excellent book. :tiphat:
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

A book that explores the juvenile justice system sounds like a book that would be very informative. However, it is a shame that the book is not well-edited. Well done for an amazing review.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Although the plot seems interesting, I'm wary because of the low score you rated it. It's always a bummer having to power through a book to get to the end.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

This sounded like a real interesting book from the summary but it is shame that the book was quite slow to get going.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”