Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Arrow Shot »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you curious about the happenings in the Garden of Eden? Do you ponder over the parenting journey of Adam and Eve or the motivations behind Cain's actions towards Abel? Look no further, as Michael Tieman's book, Killing Abel: Fratricide, provides an insightful and nuanced retelling of these intriguing events.

This book offers a captivating look into the lives of the first humans, as depicted in the book of Genesis. The story begins with Eve succumbing to temptation and partaking in the forbidden fruit from the tree of life, convincing Adam to do the same. This act of disobedience leads to their newfound awareness of their nudity, angering God and leading to their expulsion from the Garden of Eden. The serpent, along with Adam and Eve, is cursed to live with the consequences of their actions for eternity. When the couple decides to have children, they give birth to only daughters, leading them to implore God for sons, which results in the birth of Cain and Abel. Then, Cain does the act that forever changes him and humanity.

Michael Tieman's writing style is characterized by its clarity and precision. His words are instructive yet not overly simplistic, striking a perfect balance between familiar information and imaginative storytelling. Throughout the book, the author seamlessly integrates biblical references, making it evident to the reader what is based on the Old Testament and what is creative fiction. The result is a captivating read that is both entertaining and educational, making the Bible more approachable for a wider audience.

One of the most intriguing aspects of the book is its examination of fatherhood, and the impact a father's words have on his children. The significance of a name and the meaning it holds are also explored, particularly through Cain's story. This creates a thought-provoking and insightful read that sheds light on these timeless themes.

While this book offers an intriguing take on the fall of mankind, it is not without its flaws. Some portions of the book tend to be overly lengthy, such as the extended sequences showing Adam and Eve's separate experiences after being cast out of Eden. The introspective moments of characters like Adam and Cain also suffer from repetition and drawn-out contemplation, making these sections rather tedious to read. For this reason, I am rating the book 4 out of 5 stars. The book also contains some profane words and a few errors, showing that it was professionally edited.

If you're a fan of historical fiction, Killing Abel: Fratricide is definitely worth checking out. I recommend this book to readers who have an interest in religious themes, particularly those who are Christian. This Bible-based fiction offers a fresh take on the Old Testament and will provide an enjoyable experience for those who are interested in exploring or rediscovering this ancient and powerful text.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Samuel Songs
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

This review is amazing! I love how you summarized and analyzed the book so thoroughly. You gave a great description of the plot and characters. Your insight into the themes is informative and the book is definitely for readers who love stories of the bible.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

I absolutely loved reading this review of Killing Abel by Michael Tieman! I can definitely see why this book is so highly rated, and I'm definitely interested in reading it in the future. Thanks for the great review.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

This book is an excellent retelling of the events described in the Genesis chapter of the Bible, from the creation of the world to the time of Noah. Michael Tieman's Killing Abel is a powerful and captivating narrative that emphasizes the importance of storytelling in passing knowledge about the human race to future generations.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

Killing Abel: Fratricide is a testament to the enduring power of the Bible as a source of inspiration and wisdom. The book's message of hope and resilience in the face of adversity is particularly relevant in today's uncertain and challenging world.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

I loved how the review provides a detailed summary of the book, giving me a good sense of what the story is about and what themes it explores. This has piqued my interest, and I am curious to read the book to see how the author presents these complex and thought-provoking ideas.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The author's writing style is engaging and informative, making the review an enjoyable read. This skillful writing has inspired me to read the book, as I am sure that the author's writing will be just as captivating.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
devdip biswas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devdip-biswas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by devdip biswas »

the author has really done a good job of showing that God cares a lot about his children but has discipline them one way or another.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

The fact that the book is well-researched makes it more credible and enjoyable to read. It's impressive that the author was able to add his own perspective without changing the original message of the stories.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

I appreciate that the author took the time to research the subject matter, as it shows a dedication to accuracy and detail. It's great to see that the book was well-edited, as this makes for a smoother reading experience.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

It's always interesting to see a familiar story from a different perspective, and it sounds like the author did a great job of retelling these stories. I like that the book is able to provide moral lessons and life lessons based on familiar biblical stories
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I'm curious to know more about how Cain's generation fared. The themes of love, forgiveness, and disobedience are important topics in the Bible, so I'm glad to see them explored in this book.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

I understand from this review that the Michael’s aim was to make clarity of would I rather say to share a point of view about the Bible and I believe this aim was achieved.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

The Book of Genesis probably is the most read book in the Bible, and the stories of Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel are again probably one of the most read stories in the Book of Genesis. So, Michael Tieman deserves applause for retelling these common stories in a fresh, intriguing manner. Tieman's addressed several things in this book, like the reason behind Cain's behavior and the effects of fathers' words on their children.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

I like that the book delves into the character development of Adam and Eve. It's impressive that the author managed to make a well-known biblical story feel fresh and new.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”