Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Francis Ignacio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin is a nonfiction memoir written by the author herself about her life and experiences. It contains her past experiences, her present ones, and how she intends to take on the future.

Tina studied in college and graduated as a real estate agent. However, while working, she experienced sexual abuse and was a victim of a sexist working environment. She quit her job eventually and married Peter, whom she describes as the man of her dreams. They gave birth to two boys after having a miscarriage first. After 9/11 and because the teen boys were growing and would soon be gone, Tina and Peter decided to embark on a soul-searching and family bonding trip to Africa by sea on a boat. Will their journey be a success? Find out!

This book has so many positive aspects. The author wrote about the trip she and her family embarked on to Africa and the challenges they faced, such as harsh weather conditions, inaccessible health facilities, and other things. She didn’t just write about the good aspects of her life; rather, she wrote about the bad and even ugly aspects as well. She was bold enough to talk about the sexual assault she faced in her workplace, and this encourages her readers to speak out about their situations.

Themes such as adventure, Parenting and the African culture were addressed by the book. We saw how the family visited safari parks and ate African foods. African languages like Swahili were also present in the book. The author was very descriptive about the places they visited, and this made the reader able to grasp the gist of what was being described. The main character was a strong mother and woman whose story will inspire a lot of her readers, especially female ones.

The author in the book kept switching to past scenes throughout the story. Flashbacks were extensively employed by the author. This non-linear approach confused me at times in the book. I got confused as to whether a particular incident happened in the past or the present. This was the only thing I did not like about the book.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. My earlier stated reason is why I am deducting a star from it. The book was exceptionally edited, as I found no errors. I recommend it to lovers of adventure and parents.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

The calmness of nature and it's beauty when you go on an adventure is a very potent healing measures to broken souls. A fascinating book worth reading.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Conrad Writes »

An enlightening book that should be read by anyone that has intrests in travelling or African adventures. The author and her family went through a lot and were able to grow from their experiences. Thanks for your honest review.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

It is really sad that Tina is one of the many victims of sexual abuse and sexism. I hooe this book serves as an inspiration for several vuctims out there.
conrad gerald22_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by conrad gerald22_ »

Tina is able to evolve into a better version of herself despite the struggles she faced. Luckily she had her loved ones by her side. N
Thank you for this nice review.
Silva Wesley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-silva-1.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Silva Wesley »

I love reading about the African culture. This book will be an interesting one. Also, I would like to read about the adventures of Tina in South Africa. Excellent review.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

It is very easy to write about the beautiful and glamorous aspects of one's life. On the other hand, writing about the ugly aspects takes courage. I appreciate that the author dared to do this. A lot of people could learn from her experiences. I also like the in-depth description of the places. Nice review.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I recently read this book too and gave it a similar rating to you. The non-linear aspect didn't confuse me too much. Nice review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

Tina Dreffin's memoir Bluewater Walkabout is one replete with fearlessness and courageous deeds. Reading her story made me shed some tears. Thanks for the good analysis of the book.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I love the idea of a daring adventure with a family and the idea of learning more about the sea and sailing. I'm sure it would be a thrilling experience, and I'm excited to read it! Thanks for your review!
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

This is a story about a family that knew when to bond and when to do activities together as a family. The mother is a strong woman who despite the challenges she caved in her past rose up and shunned her oppressors.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Tina was traumatised on her early life and it was something that usually could had marred any other woman but she overcame.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”