Review of I Was Scammed

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of I Was Scammed

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Was Scammed" by Gini Graham Scott.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I Was Scammed is a book by Gini Graham Scott that seeks to teach readers about the various scams used by scammers online and offline. A chargeback scamming incident that happened to Scott inspired this book. She worked as a ghostwriter, and one of her clients had paid for the services rendered but went back to his bank to lay a fraudulent charge dispute against Scott. She learned more about this type of scam and learned how prevalent it was. Her research led her to discover a world of scams, and she has written about these scams in great detail.

In this book, Scott discusses how using your debit or credit card to transact can put you at risk of being scammed. She uses the data breach that affected thousands of Target Corporation customers as an example to explain how we are all at risk. Online shopping is one of the quickest and most effective ways scammers use in order to steal shoppers’ personal information. Those who use posts or letters delivered to their homes are also no safer. If you are wondering how to protect yourself from these savvy and sleek scammers, grab a copy of I Was Scammed and read about the various scams that exist, how to protect yourself, and the recourse to take should you become a victim.

Reading this book felt like I was reading a research scholar’s article. Scott has done enormous research and cited all references meticulously. The book is well-structured and flows logically from one topic to the next. A high level of planning went into conceptualizing, structuring, and presenting this book, and the final product proves it. The book is comprehensive and covers a variety of scams. Reading about how different people got scammed and how it affected their lives showed me the importance of reading up about cybersecurity and the importance of protecting my personal information to the best of my abilities.

My overall rating of I Was Scammed is 5 out of 5 stars. I liked that there are tons of tools that readers can implement to avoid being scammed. If you have been scammed, there are resources you can tap into for intervention and assistance. It is empowering and educational. There was nothing to dislike about this book. The content was well-researched, factual, and well-presented. The book is professionally edited, and I only noticed a few errors.

Prevention is better than cure, and it is better to be safe than sorry. This book is ideal for readers who wish to learn how to protect their personal information from landing in the wrong hands. I would strongly recommend this book to online shoppers. It will equip you with various tools to navigate the world of online shopping safely.

I Was Scammed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

In this day and age, scams are more and more common. This seems like such a helpful tool
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Laney K wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 05:24 In this day and age, scams are more and more common. This seems like such a helpful tool
That's true and scammers have become so advanced and clever, it's scary. Thanks for taking the time to read the review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It's normal for us to easily give personal data online, even google almost knows everything about us. Scammers are everywhere now especially online. Reading a helpful book about this problem will increase the safety of everyone. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It seems this book covers all scams and it's a must-read if we are to protect ourselves against these scammers. Awesome review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 00:02 It's normal for us to easily give personal data online, even google almost knows everything about us. Scammers are everywhere now especially online. Reading a helpful book about this problem will increase the safety of everyone. Your review is wonderful!
Thanks for such a kind comment Hazel! :tiphat:
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Nqobile771 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 01:39 It seems this book covers all scams and it's a must-read if we are to protect ourselves against these scammers. Awesome review
It is indeed a comprehensive book. Thanks for stopping by Nqobile771 :tiphat:
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It is hard to survive these days without shopping online or recieving letters in the mail, but it is important to take precautions and learn how to protect our personal information. Thank you for your review and recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Having being scammed some months back, I believe I’ll need this book as soon as possible.
The review is comprehensive. Thank you.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

It seems like scammers now device new and very creative means to scam individuals and it is really scary. Nice Review.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

This book is a wonderful tool to avoid living in fear of being scammed. I would love to read this book because I've been scammed once, and I know what it feels like.
Positive Thinker Book Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-positive-thinker-book-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Positive Thinker Book Reviewer »

Thank you for this review. I am sure the book is a helpful guide to everyone, more so because we all buy everything online these days.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Positive Thinker Book Reviewer wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 10:28 Thank you for this review. I am sure the book is a helpful guide to everyone, more so because we all buy everything online these days.
Thanks for reading the review!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Medina Fedrick wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 01:08 This book is a wonderful tool to avoid living in fear of being scammed. I would love to read this book because I've been scammed once, and I know what it feels like.
I hope you'll get to read it. Thanks for stopping by!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Khriscee1 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 12:38 It seems like scammers now device new and very creative means to scam individuals and it is really scary. Nice Review.
Scammers are creative and always find new ways to scam people. Thanks for reading the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”