Review of Diary of a Talking (war) Dog

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Review of Diary of a Talking (war) Dog

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Talking (war) Dog" by Daniel Tierney.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Because heartlessness and wickedness will always exist, some people have forgotten about peace and believe that war is the only way to resolve disagreements. They need to recognize that there are alternative approaches to problem-solving. War is an experience that no one should wish for, and we should all hope and pray that most people realize this, even though no one who has experienced war expects it to happen again. Diary of a Talking (War) Dog by Daniel Tierney is a book based on a true story of war experience.

Daniel, a 24-year-old air force lieutenant, was stationed in the wilds of North Carolina in the fall of 1969. They relegated him to managing a motor pool as a punishment, which made him unhappy. He was living with three transport pilots who regarded him as an alien, and he couldn’t take it anymore, so he went to the personnel base, where Dan asked how he could leave the base.

Initially, Dan was told he could only leave after his tour. Dan signed a document quickly because he saw it as an opportunity to leave, which led to his joining the Vietnam Volunteers. Things got better as time passed, and Dan forgot about the document he had signed. While preparing for his Christmas leave, he saw a package, which he opened, and Dan saw he had been ordered to report to Bien Hoa in the Republic of Vietnam.

I liked this book because it was based on a true story. It taught me many things, such as the fact that every decision we make in life has consequences. The book was also funny when it shared how to reduce the possibility of a mosquito bite with a fan. It also teaches that no matter how difficult a situation is, we should make the best of it, which Dan did very well by watching movies and reading books. I also learned that Vietnamese women wear a traditional silk dress called the bo dai.

I disliked some things about this book, such as having to google the meaning of the abbreviations Daniel mentioned in the book; this was a bit time-consuming but enlightening. I also believed it was wrong for some individuals to use orphans for negative purposes. I recommend this book to anyone who can't imagine what war is like or its negative consequences. I encountered a few errors, which shows that Diary of a Talking (War) Dog by Daniel Tierney was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because reading it was worthwhile.

Diary of a Talking (war) Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

Tales based on real-life occurrences have a powerful impact, and this is no exception.
This book offers helpful advice on how to deal with life's obstacles and assists us in making deft choices. Great review.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

The thing with the mosquito bite is true. I believe the strength of the wind from the fan is too much for them so they avoid the area. Excellent review. I had no idea i'll see this anywhere.
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

Your review does a great job of highlighting the importance of recognizing alternative approaches to problem-solving, especially in situations of conflict. I appreciate that you noted the book's based on a true story, which makes it all the more compelling and informative.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

It's great that the book teaches readers about the consequences of our decisions and the importance of making the best of difficult situations.
I like that you mentioned the book's humorous moments, which can be a nice contrast to the serious subject matter.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley

Post by Salome Ogani »

It's great that the book includes humorous moments, which can make the subject matter more accessible and relatable. I like that you recognized the importance of professionally editing the book. It shows that the author took care to produce a quality product.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

This book will teach you the importance of reading through a document before putting your signature down because it might end up ruining your life and putting your life in jeopardy.
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

Every decision has its consequences is a statement most people don't give attention until it's time for the consequences. See that when Dan just started getting comfortable did the consequence come around. There are many lessons to be learned in this book especially about War.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I think the book offers a powerful perspective on the harsh realities of war and the need for peace. It takes us on a journey with Daniel, a young air force lieutenant who shares his personal experiences and reflections. Through his diary entries, we gain insights into the challenges and sacrifices faced by those in the military.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

At a point, I felt that this was the personal growth of Daniel as he navigated the challenges of his assignment, ultimately discovering the strength within to overcome adversity and find fulfillment.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

From your review, I noticed that Daniel isn't patient, brave, persistent, or strong if a little mockery could make him plan on leaving the base. I think Daniel should also work on his anger issue, though it's just a story.
Christopher Andersons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris1-anderson.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Christopher Andersons »

I like that you highlighted the book's message of making the best of difficult situations. It's a valuable lesson that can be applied to many areas of life.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

Your review does a great job of balancing both the positive and negative aspects of the book. It gives readers a well-rounded understanding of what to expect.
Willie Wilsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willie-wilsons.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Willie Wilsons »

It's great that the book includes humorous moments, which can help readers connect with the author and the story on a personal level.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

Reading the book title of this book and my first thought was that it would be about a dig that talks in real life. Excellent review of this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”