Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Mozi Ken »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I hear people say that health is wealth. This is why I am not surprised at the way Duke died. He had spent most of his life as an alcoholic. He also did drugs sometimes. He confessed that he preferred alcohol to food. However, this didn't pay him well. He learned his lesson the hard way. If you want to know more about Duke, grab The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid. It was written by Gary Robinson.

Duke, a sword swallower, worked in the circus and also did shows on the streets for a living. However, he didn't spend the money he made wisely. So he was always running low on funds. One of those times that he was short of funds, he took a risky job that would earn him 1,000 dollars after the show. In this show, he was to dangle shackled upside down from a helicopter. His goal was to untie himself as fast as possible. After a successful first show, the cheers, praise, and money got to him. So he decided to make it part of his living. But his second show was another story to tell. While he was being lifted, the helicopter moved forward instead of upward, so his head was repeatedly banging on the tarred floor. Would Duke survive this ordeal unscathed?

This book was quite interesting. I relished reading about the circus and its shows. There was the one where Duke inserted and hammered a very long nail into one of his nostrils. It sounded gross, and I wondered how he was able to do that. Duke lived a life of recklessness. Most of the choices he made in life were dangerous. I appreciated the family atmosphere of the circus. They were all united and tolerated each other. They weren't perfect, but they each accepted the other's faults and bonded well. This is worth imitating, especially in a family setting.

There was something I disliked in this book. It involved the use of drugs and alcohol. It talked about the hazards of over-drinking and drug abuse. We learn a lot from Duke and Gary's way of life. It was surprising how much impact Duke had on Gary. Their first meeting was also interesting. Gary, despite his vices, liked to write. So he saw that Duke had a story that he'd like to hear. His interest started a friendship that influenced him greatly. He also fell in love with Angel the first time they met. I found some parts of the book funny. I laughed at Gary's friend's decision to cook the mammoth in the museum as food. The scene was so ridiculous that I couldn't help but laugh.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I found no errors. It was exceptionally well-edited. I took away a star because I think the intended audience of this book was alienated. Young teenagers would have been warned against drinking and abusing drugs by this book. However, the profanity and explicit details in it wouldn't be right for them to read about. It might end up being counterproductive. Except for these, the book had several interesting scenes that kept me reading. I recommend this book to adults aged 20 and above.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Zillionaire_me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zillionaire-me.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Zillionaire_me »

Sounds interesting!
Books about drugs and alcohol do not really appeal to me. However,the part talking about his shows entices me.
Thanks for your review.
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

This review really made me want to read The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid. It sounds like an amazing story, and I'm so impressed with how the reviewer was able to capture the vividness of the narrative. I'm also glad to hear that the book was well-edited, as that's always a plus. I'm looking forward to reading it soon.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I’ve read The Sword Swallower and a Chico kid and I’ll say that your review is on point. I like the impact these two men had on each other’s life.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

I enjoyed reading your summary. The book has receipositive engaging characters, humor, vivid descriptions, and heartfelt message of friendship and acceptance. Kudos on this amazing review.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

The dangers of substance abuse cannot be overemphasized at all point staying clean is the best option and treating addict with love rather than judgement is the best way to help them.
Kizito Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kizito-shelby.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kizito Shelby »

Drugs can ruin people for life, be it career wise, health wise it can be very damaging. Duke was a very talented young man who seemed to want to go far in life.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Good review, thanks. It’s always interesting when the author manages to include sensitive elements -as drugs or alcohol- within the plot, it requires a great style to make it smooth, ensuring it has a justification (it has to contribute to the plot), and that it doesn’t push the reader away.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Duke Reynolds lived a hard and regretful life but in the end, his life was impactful. He was a great teacher to Gary Robinson. This is an interesting and educative novel for victims struggling with addictions.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I'm intrigued by the cover of this book. I'd love to know more about Duke's life and the circus. Beautiful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”