Review of Apollo's Raven

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Review of Apollo's Raven

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In her book Apollo's Raven, Linnea Tanner combines love, political intrigue, magic, mysticism, betrayal, pain, and hatred in a powerful way. Most of the story focuses on Catrin and Marcellus, the two primary protagonists. The author provides detailed backstories for both characters, which makes them more relatable to readers.

Catrin turns to her raven for comfort after her infamous half-brother Marrock left her to die as a child. She would like to be recognized as a Druidess. Still, she is afraid to disobey her father, King Amren of Britannia, openly. Because of what happened with his former queen, he said that no one in his family would ever use the magic of the druids. Soon after, Catrin and her father discover she now carries an old curse placed on the king by his former queen. According to a portion of the curse, she and Marrock will work together to take over her father's throne. The curse is set in motion when the Romans require that Marrock be named next in line to the throne, despite his banishment for more than seven years. In the middle of all this, she starts to like Marcellus, the son of the Roman senator Lucius. The sole reason Lucius had visited her nation was to talk about Rome's partnership with Marrock. Catrin is currently caught between pursuing her wants, viewing the Romans as her foes, and figuring out how to break the curse while still trying to discover who she is. Do you wish to know how these occurrences turned out? Did she end up with Marcellus? Did her father ever permit her to use her abilities publicly? What happened to Marrock? Get this book to satiate your curiosity.

I particularly liked how Catrin was first introduced as a warrior and then as a princess. The fact that Catrin is a respected warrior is repeatedly stressed in the narrative. She has defeated every one of the king's warriors and defends her own when necessary. Instead of writing this character as a helpless medieval princess, I admire that the author gave her a strong female lead. In addition, the queen is left to rule when the king is away from the kingdom on official business. I adored that the queen was revered by all the males and would succeed the king as king if he died. There was no demand for the next man in line to wear the crown. I liked the scene where her father scolded her after she commanded Belinus to let go of the young Roman he had threatened to kill. I loved how the author captured Catrin's feelings at that very moment when she was thinking, "This is unfair; I should be praised, not shamed." We can all relate to how she felt. We all hope that people will appreciate the positive things we do for them, irrespective of the circumstances. I enjoyed how her father rebuked her. Yes, she was correct to prevent a battle between their people and the Romans, but he is the king, and you should not act independently of him when he is present. It's an insult, and no man in a position of authority would value it. I liked her relationship with Marcellus. It wasn't just written to fill space.

I couldn't think of a single aspect of this book that I didn't enjoy. Still, I didn't particularly appreciate that Mor, Catrin's sister, didn't believe her when she tried to convince her that their brother had planned treason and was already traveling with the Roman soldiers to carry it out. If anyone should be able to represent us when no one else does, it should be our siblings. I rate Linnea Tanner's novel, Apollo's Raven, five out of five stars. It was a pleasant and soothing read. This book's plot was also thoughtfully crafted. I applaud the author for this lovely tale.

This novel is appropriate for young adults or teenagers. When there is combat and death, some situations in the story are gory. Also, some scenes depict explicit sexual activity in great detail. I recommend this book to people who like historical fiction because it discusses Celtic and Roman cultures. This narrative has a lot of magical components. Therefore, I suggest it to anyone who appreciates magic and witchcraft. Although this novel has romantic elements, the focus is primarily on mystical experiences and one's responsibility to one's community. I wouldn't suggest this tale to those only interested in romance.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Martin Kalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martin-kalu.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Martin Kalu »

Great review ,I love reading books on history and adventures and this I read , gave me momentum to go list it in my bookshelves .Thanks for the review as I look forward to enjoy what you enjoyed too .
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Stars in Our Hearts by Kylie Welch

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

The idea of Catrin controlling minds of ravens is very interesting and I feel that a lot of time and effort was put into writing this review. I enjoyed reading it buyers know what to expect.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

I loved that the author choose to empower and show that a woman can be a good leader just as a man too. I will read this soon enough because of your beautiful review. You did a nice job!
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

Apollo's Raven is a book with a rich content. I love the blend of politics, magic, mysticism, betrayal, pain, love and hatred. Catrin's strong character in the book will fascinate the average woman.
Emmanuel Cohen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-cohen.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Emmanuel Cohen »

Quite an entertaining review, the mixture of romance, politics, mysticism, magic makes it more enjoyable.
I would add it to my WANT TO ADD bookshelf
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

Wow, this review is so detailed and informative! I appreciate the way the reviewer highlighted the author's ability to combine different elements so seamlessly. The detailed backstories of the characters are definitely a plus for me when reading a novel.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Katherine Barnabas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-barnabas.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Katherine Barnabas »

Not to sound feminist or anything but I prefer when a woman is shown in the light of power over when she is shown as a damsel in distress. In the end, women as the backbones of every house hold.
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

A book on history, myths and a strong female protagonist is certainly a book that interests me. I will love to know how Catrin faired and if she succeeded in defeating Marrock.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Prism: The Pegasus Who Painted the Sky Rainbow by Brad W. Blue

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

It is obvious that Catrin's brother Marrock was evil and he worked with an evil druidess. These things keeps proving how deceitful and selfish humans can be.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

The love between Catrin and Marcellus was interesting and I feel that they should have been given a chance. Religion and tribe should not be a base for accepting an individual for marriage.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

The character Catrin seems to be interesting because it is difficult to understand how a lady posses so much leading characteristics and I l really loved the idea.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

I love the mindset surrounding this book. Everyone one is independent and reliable in themselves. No weak link to hinder the progress of the whole village and things like that.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

The idea of a strong female lead is always appealing to me, so I'm glad the author delivered on that front. It's great that the author was able to capture relatable emotions like feeling unfairly treated.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

I'm glad the author didn't just write the romance in to fill space. The review gave me enough information to know whether the book would be a good fit for me or not.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”