Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Francis Ignacio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land is an adventure-filled story written by Fred G. Baker. It is a fictional story that takes us into the deepest parts of Russia and Siberia on a journey to uncover the truth about a certain man’s death.

Dr. Randall Taylor went missing during an expedition to northern Siberia. Shortly after he went missing, the authorities declared him legally dead. Dr. Grant is Dr. Rendall's nephew, who is an American professor to whom Dr. Rendall bequeathed his house and other assets. Dr. Grant comes to Petersburg, Russia, to carry out his uncle’s final wishes, but he discovers a letter and other strange things in the house that suggest that his uncle may not be dead after all. He decides to team up with Captain Volkov, the last survivor of the last expedition, and other members in search of his dear uncle. Will he find him?

I must commend the mastery that it took the author to write a book like this. It kept me glued to it till I completed it. There was suspense and adventure. Even though the book had a slow start, it picked up and became very interesting. The author did adequate research about the countries he wrote about. I learned some words in Russian from the book. The author was able to describe to the reader all the scenes in the book adequately. It seemed like I was a part of the team.

I must also commend how well the characters were formed. They all had backstories made known to the reader by the author. I loved how Grant showed courage in the face of fear and tried to save the people who betrayed him. That touched me. The book contains themes like love, trust, and betrayal of trust.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that the ending seemed rushed. The author was not consistent in following the pace of the book in other chapters. I felt like some places needed more explanations by the author, but that was not given.

It is for this reason that I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the mystery and suspense of the book so much. It was also exceptionally well edited, as I found no errors. I recommend it to lovers of action-packed novels. People who enjoy mysteries and thriller novels will enjoy it. Because of the explicit scenes in the book, I recommend it to a mature audience.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

My favourite character in this book was Grant's girlfriend, Irina. I wished could have seen her and know how beautiful she actually was.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Zona: The Forbidden Land sounds like an incredibly exciting and intriguing adventure. I love how Baker took the time to develop the characters and the setting, and I appreciate that you mentioned the sexual content so that younger readers can be aware.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

Zona: the forbidden Land had an abundance of mystery, intrigue and wonder. The idea of a land forbidden and closed off to humans sounds intriguing enough.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Prior to reading your review of this book, I used to think this book was based on a fairy tale. But going by what I have read from your review, I will definetly add it to my book shelf. Beautiful review, I enjoyed reading it.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Wow... So they have to go on a second adventure to search for Grant's uncle. I wonder how things go. I'm looking forward to reading this book to enjoy the adventures. Amazing review.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

This is an interesting novel, I would love to know what happens to Dr. Grant Taylor in northern Serbia. What happened to the crew member on their expedition? Great review!
conrad gerald22_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by conrad gerald22_ »

I honestly want to know what Grant, Irina and the rest of the crew will encounter on their journey. I hope to pick up a copy as soon as possible. Beautiful review.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Your Review is great. Why did Doctor Randall Taylor go missing? And will he be found? I wilk read this novel to find out more.
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html

Post by Natasha Kim »

This book is so intriguing. Adventure, mystery, thriller, action and suspense all packed in one. This is my favourite genre, a must-read for me. Dr Grant is a determined and courageous man. I hope he finds his uncle. Gotta check it out. Thanks for your review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

This review is easy to follow. I look forward to reading this someday soon.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

Good job on your review. It was well articulated and easy to understand. You highlighted key points about the book without giving away any spoilers. From your review I'm convinced that this is indeed a well written book.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

This review is so articulated and comprehensible, I must say. I guess the suspense in this book was intense and I love it just like that. From your review, I can say that the book is an interesting one.
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

This book is quite interesting and I must comment you for a honest review. My favorite character was Dr.Grant, I like how he took matters into his hand and went on this adventure with trusted people. Nice job !
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I honestly loved reading this book on Zona. It was a very mysterious place and Grant's commitment to his uncle was impressive. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”