Review of Adrift

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Adrift

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shipwrecks are regular events in movies, mostly about pirates and treasure hunting. This story is not far-fetched but similar in a unique way to the eventful arrangements around shipwrecks. Adrift by Charlie Sheldon portrays the narrative of a wrecked ship that holds both bad deals and goodwill between two different parties if looked at from different angles. The Seattle Express has just caught fire, causing a loss for the crew members as they struggle to get to safety to survive on lifeboats through an endless journey expecting the unexpected as they navigate the North Pacific Ocean.

This turn of events that seems like a trouble for one group seems like a cause for celebration for another. The crew members of the tugboat known as the "Warhorse" are excited by the news of the Seattle Express wreckage, as they hope to salvage a lot from it and use it to pay off their outstanding debts. Many challenges and obstacles ahead, but no one said the journey would be easy. Read along to know the fate of these crew members.

The book was an exciting rollercoaster as I learned to expect the unexpected. There were a lot of twists that left me in shock and sometimes in confusion; nevertheless, the book's pace was fast, and the author tried his best to carry the readers along with the plot, explaining every concept simply so it would be easy to understand. I realized that there are many angles to one problem and that each person views life from their perception. These perceptions are from their experiences and mistakes from the past. The author shows the manifestation of their perceptions during the journey for survival as each character exhibited a trait they picked up from their life experiences and tried to use to benefit the crew. The author created an elaborate backstory for each highlighted character and how their lives reflected on the present moment. I liked the creativity of the maps presented. I felt a range of emotions and thoroughly enjoyed my reading experience.

Nevertheless, the book had so many characters mentioned that it took too long to try to know them all, and some terms required extra attention, but these factors can be a plan to show that the author is thorough and detailed, and they didn't affect my experience.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was fun to read, captivating, and introduced me to new concepts. The story was detailed and creative. Despite the length, the author carries the readers along and has an excellent writing style. The book is also exceptionally well edited due to its lack of spelling or grammatical errors. This list of reasons merits the book's given rating.

I recommend this book to readers interested in an entertaining adventure book and readers who like stories about sailing and shipwrecks.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book is a captivating and thought-provoking read. The author's writing style is engaging and the storyline is compelling, drawing the reader in from the very first page. I found myself fully immersed in the characters and their struggles, and the themes explored throughout the book left me with much to reflect on long after finishing. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a great read."
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I can't imagine being stranded with a team of strangers on the north Pacific Ocean. The plot of this story is unique and interesting. Thank you for so an interesting review
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Though this week is not my kind of book. But this book will be good for those that enjoy the sea business. Your review is well detailed and I enjoyed it. Well written.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I will love to read this book because it talks about sea business. I work at sea some time ego and I need more knowledge on it. Your review is exceptional. Good job
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I have read this book and I like how the plot was developed and how the story progressed. The suspense level is okay and the way the author switched from one scent to another is womdeful. Well done.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

I am not a fan of ship sailing novels but after reading Fifie, I changed my mind. I am just curious about the Settle Express in this novel and how it caught fire. This is a well-written review. Great work.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This is a heartwarming tale about a lost ship. Is disheartening the great ordeal the captain and the crew undergo due to the wreckage. I'm curious to know if they will survive it. Great review.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is a very interesting story about men at sea who were the victims of shipwreck. This book is so heartbreaking. It keeps at the edge of your seat, wanting more.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon seem like an interesting book. I would read to know if the Warhorse succeeded in exploiting the Seattle Express.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

This is an interesting and fascinating story about ship wreck. I pray that they survive it, even after the other crews' happiness over the wreckage of their ship.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

I agree with you that shop wrecks are not common in movies and even in novels, seeing how Charlie Sheldon wrote about it in adrift makes it made it more appealing.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is the first sea novel I read and I didn’t regret reading it. It was interesting. Some events that happened were disheartening. Your review is well written.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This book is all about adventures and sailing. It is great and the author did well. The review helped a lot. Good job

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”