Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review of McDowell

Post by Jerry Anozie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Character is the basic thing needed by every successful person to maintain their position or go higher. It is difficult to see a long-lasting success in a person without character. McDowell by William H. Coles is a lesson-filled fictional book with other themes that concern our world today. This book is very easy to relate to and will be enjoyed by many readers.

Dr. Hiram is a surgeon and was elected Regent to the Board of Directors of the International College of Surgeons. He wasn’t satisfied with the position and wanted to be the president of the college. Then he approached Michael, who was also a key member of the executive committee. Michael was reluctant to accept his proposition, but with the enticing offer from Hiram, he accepted, only to be betrayed on the day of induction. Hiram is a professional who is nonchalant about everything, including family affairs. How would his lifestyle affect his profession? How did Michael handle the situation? Read more in the main book.

I love how the book started by telling us briefly about his family, and from the information I got from there, I began to understand better the character, Hiram. This novel is filled with drama, action, twists, and suspense, which is why I was so engrossed in the read. Promises look easy to make and break, but their effects could be very dangerous. This was a lesson I learned. I do have this emotion when I come across a book with a single-word title. It comes with a lot of questions, and then I am left with no other option than to read it. I loved the way the characters conversed; it was like a live show. The characters were developed; nothing was lacking within them. I loved how the chapters were short. The story was well thought out, and I commend the author for a job well done.

I was concerned about Dr. Hiram's behavior and how he became a surgeon. It felt like little details were given about his personal life. This is just a minor observation that did not affect the general flow of the book. And because of the numerous likes above, I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

This book was well divided into parts and was also free of errors, which shows that the book was well edited. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction and drama.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Success Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I appreciate that the author did not make the book long for readers. MC Dowell is a book I will recommend to lovers of drama also. The book will make a great book with its plot. Thanks for this review. I enjoyed reading it.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Conrad Writes »

I like how you gave a detailed analysis of everything you understood from the book. I look forward to reading it and experiencing it firsthand. Thanks for this review.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

I agree with you that knowledge is truly important for eveyone.
This book sounds do relatable and your review of mcdowell is so nice.
Well done
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

The opening sentence in this review was quite catchy. Dr Hiram should find a balance between his family life and work life. Giving attention to both is paramount to having a peaceful life.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

I would love to know how Hiram and Michael were able to handle the situation they were faced with and how it affected their profession. I would definitely love to read this book. Nice review.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Dr Hiram seems like a horrible person that will do anything to succeed. I would like to read this book to find out more about him. Thanks for the review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

Indeed character is very important in life. But sadly, some people don't know that. What will this book, McDowell, teach me about character? Great review.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is quite an interesting review and you are right. Once a person does not have a good character, to maintain success will be hard. Nice review!
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

This book really shows the genius of the author. I lived the flow of the book and all it entails about medicine and how it works.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

Being betrayed is disheartening especially from someone you trust. I'm curious to know how Michael will react to this. Thanks for the intriguing review.
Prisca olu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisca-olu.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Prisca olu »

Character is one thing that is very much overlooked in the pursuit of life. But it is still commended when seen. Friendship is also a great element in life that one can't do without. This is a good book and has great reviews
Prisca olu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisca-olu.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Prisca olu »

Character is one thing that is very much overlooked in the pursuit of life. But it is still commended when seen. Friendship is also a great element in life that one can't do without. This is a good book and has a great review.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

I love your first paragraph. Character is needed for success in every venture.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Chee Amaka »

McDowell" by William H. Coles is a book good for people who enjoy reading books on fiction. Arriving at success is difficult to achieve for one with bad character.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”