Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Grant Taylor must decide whether to renovate and live in his uncle's house after Randall goes missing while on an expedition to Zona. When he finally gets to his uncle's house, it is in dire need of repair, and it is raining heavily when he arrives. When he moves farther inside, he hears footsteps coming from his uncle's flat. Following the sound, he finds someone searching the shelf for an unidentified object. The intruder realizes he has been seen and flees as Grant chases after him. Grant makes an unsuccessful attempt to capture him before giving up the chase. Grant labeled the intruder as a thief, but he was about to learn the reality and the mystery behind his uncle's disappearance. Could his uncle still be alive? Why did the intruder flee with only a book in hand, and what was he seeking? Follow Grant in Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker as he uncovers the truth behind his uncle's disappearance.

Depending on where they were, the book was split into three parts. The first part explained their lives before embarking on the expedition; the second, their arduous journey there; and the third, their survival after they arrived. Each character and setting were brought to life by the author's detailed, accurate, and vivid descriptions. The characters' emotions of delight, wrath, grief, anxiety, and tension made me feel as though I was there in person. The story has a gripping plot with twists and turns that may have the reader on the edge of their seat. The beginning of the book is immediately filled with suspense, which had me reading all the way through and left me wondering what would happen next.

The only aspect of this story that I didn't appreciate was how suddenly the characters picked up on animal language. Except for this, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I believe the author deserves praise for this masterpiece. Grant was my favorite character because of his fearless and amusing demeanor in the face of uncertainty.

This book was extremely well edited, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't find any errors while reading it. The dislike I described above isn't enough to take away a star in this case because there are more positive aspects. Because of this, I would give this book a rating of five out of five stars.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy science fiction but don't find the use of strong language disturbing. I believe that due to the explicit sexual content, this book is not appropriate for children.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Grant was determined to find the mystery behind his uncle's disappearance. I hope he succeeds in his quest.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Medina Fedrick wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 18:11
The only aspect of this story that I didn't appreciate was how suddenly the characters picked up on animal language.
Huh! This is quite strange unless the book belongs to the sci-fi genre.

Thank you for the honest review. I liked the plot but I think it is a long book. So I'll skip this one.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”