Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ben Mount
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-mount.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of McDowell

Post by Ben Mount »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book by William H. Coles explores the good, terrible, and ugly qualities of Dr. Hiram McDowell. The book has two sections. The first section covered Hiram's egotistical pursuit of fame and wealth. Was his fame deserved? Read McDowell to find out.

The second section of this book talks about Hiram's poor decisions in the past and his demise. Hiram lost his second wife and married Carole, his third wife. They had three children together. His hospital was in Nepal, and he was a well-established surgeon. In addition to becoming a surgeon, Hiram was also a musician who merely desired to have a good time outside of his medical profession. He was also a climber who resided in Nepal. Dr. Hiram had aspirations to climb numerous mountains. He had a lot of lofty ambitions. Due to his desire for popularity, Hiram abandoned his friend Michael to obtain a position that wasn't for him. He was elected president of the International College of Surgeons. Hiram's desire for more fame was the beginning of his downfall. He attracted a lot of people's attention.

I must admit that this book was fascinating. The suspense in the novel was intense, which is what piqued my interest in reading it. As a result of the protagonist's carefree lifestyle, I must admit that he was an annoying character. Yet, after a while, I grew to adore the protagonist and, at the same time, felt sympathy for those who were responsible for his demise. Hiram McDowell led a complicated but ethically admirable life. His life was inspiring. I learned a lot from what happened to him. The sort of bond he had with his kids was one of my favorite aspects of this novel. His other daughter Sophie became a photographer, his son became a musician, and Ann later got married and had two children. This book was instructive and possessed many moral teachings.

This book was professionally edited. I came across a few errors while reading the book. The vocabulary employed in this book will be difficult for young readers to comprehend. Also, the book's beginning was a little bit confusing. The author should have used a more understandable introduction to the story. I adore the book's narrative and the author's use of insight. Despite the book's large cast of characters, they were perfectly developed.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star because of the confusing introduction to the story. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading crime and thriller novels.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

McDowell gives me a very unconventional and unorthodox vibe. For one, the protagonist is the usual good guys we see in novels. I really want to read this book.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Hiram lived quite an interesting and adventurous life. He was a doctor, musicians, and also a climber. This seems like a great book. Thanks for the review.
Active Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-active-chris.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Active Chris »

I would love to know more on the kind of life Hiram lived. I'm pretty sure it was filled with adventures according to the review's content. I also like that you gave your point of view regarding the book. Thanks for the review.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

A man who pursues his wealth and fame in the most unique way. You could learn lots of lessons from this story. I know I will.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I would really love to read about the life Hiram had led. I’ve seen a lot of reviews on this and I’m curious. Your review is well written! Well done!
Steve Miracle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve-miracle.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Steve Miracle »

McDowell was hit by bybad lucks in life but what tells about his personality is how he reacted to life's unfairness.
Ebube Steve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebube-steve.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ebube Steve »

The book's plot was amazing tho but it wasn't that engaging. I believe everyone is going to learn from Hiram's life in one way or the other
Jeffery King 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeffery-king-1.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Jeffery King 1 »

A very realistic book and educative at the same time. I would recommend entrepreneurs to read this book that may learn something from the author
Bryant Tyler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyler-bryant023.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Bryant Tyler »

A realistoc book with a complex protagonist. I enjoyed reading this review. Hiram is a very interesting character that I like reading. An amazing review.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

McDowell by William H. Coles is a captivating and thought-provoking novel that explores the complex relationships and personal struggles of its main character, Hiram McDowell. The novel delves into themes such as family, love, ambition, and the pursuit of happiness, and offers readers a glimpse into the harsh realities of the medical profession.
Fentymak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fentymak.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Fentymak »

I like reading this review. It was well thought out. The flaws were highlighted efficiently. Congratulations on a job well done. I can't wait to read this book.
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

I really enjoyed reading this review! It was well written and gave me a good insight into the book. The points you raised were valid and I appreciate you mentioning the positive aspects and drawbacks of the book.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Hiram was a character who I dislike so much but then I was able to reconcile with him at the end of the book. Nice review.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

What I like about the protagonist is his interesting lifestyle. He tried to live his life to the fullest.
I hope he achieved his life purpose in the end.
Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”