Review of 4th & Long:

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of 4th & Long:

Post by Goodness Azuka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "4th & Long:" by Garrett M Stapleton.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Admitting our weaknesses can only do two things for us: leave us adversely susceptible or boost our resilience and resistance. 4th and Long is a fictional book that shows the life of a boy who breaks through his misfortunes and discovers his abilities as he grows.

Matty, the protagonist, is a child somewhat unfortunate to be diagnosed with mosaic Down syndrome while a newborn. He grew up as a unique child, as his condition was visible. Meanwhile, the engineer and teacher who met in college and became his parents showed him all the love and care needed. More unfortunately, he lost his hero while in middle school. It left him with more feelings of vulnerability. After her husband’s demise, Lindsey competently took on her husband’s role with hers, ensuring that Matty didn’t lag too much. Lindsey enrolled Matty at Chelsea High School, the same school where she was also a teacher, for a close watch. The high school was quite a broad social space for Matty to explore. Apart from that, his mother started fawning over a colleague who was also the school’s football coach, and Matty got involved in football somehow. Will Lindsey get Matty another hero? What will become of Matty’s social High School?

4th and Long is a 122-page book written by Garett M. Stapleton. This book shows a nuclear family with a socially challenged child. It explores the mosaic Down syndrome condition, the average high school environment with teen activities, and football as a widely recognized sport.

I enjoyed this book. As a health practitioner, I could picture Matty’s physique, behaviour, and reactions. Also, as a football lover, I could relate. I could feel the wins and losses. I also liked that the author’s descriptions were comprehensible for readers initially unacquainted with the topics. The family bonds described in the book are models, which also makes the book recommendable. I commend the author’s sequencing of the chapters of the book.

There was nothing to dislike in this book as I experienced the free flow of reading. The book was exceptionally well edited, as it contained no errors. The absence of sex scenes makes the book morally acceptable for young readers, as romance is moderate. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars. My best character was Harry. I loved that he showed humility, respected Matty despite his condition, and helped him the best he could. My favourite part of the book was also when the team finally appreciated him for his skill in the football match.

I recommend this book to lovers of fiction. This book is suitable for young readers, specifically teenagers.

4th & Long:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

This seems to be a story on the life of a boy and how he grew up from little to an adult. I enjoy reading coming-of-age stories, and I am looking forward to reading this book.
Active Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-active-chris.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Active Chris »

The story will give readers inspiration and motivation as it follows the life of a young man with an illness. It would be nice to get a copy of this book. Thanks for the precise review.
Natasha Kim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

This story is inspiring to me. A lovely family with a little boy having mosaic Down syndrome. Matty's parents really did a number on him, loving him dearly and being his hero. Would love to learn more about his condition in this book and how he navigates through his social life. Thanks for your review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

It is not easy to live with a disability and then given what happens to Matty's Hero, it must have been worse. I feel for him. I am looking forward to reading this book. Amazing review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

I'm curious about how Harry helped Matty play football efficiently despite Matty's disability. I'm always rooting for inclusive family life for people with disabilities especially socially inclined disability, it helps them as they grow older to be able to explore and be more. Well done for this review.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html

Post by Reader_noc »

Growing up with disabilities can be really tough. It does not get easier when we lose our support system just like Matty did. I am glad Lindsey tried her best to put him through.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

I've never thought there were people with special abilities to do things, I've always believed that people do things but putting in effort.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

I would want to know what abilities Matty discovered. Down syndrome is one disease I really wonder why it exists. Should there be someone to blame when their child is born with the disease? Anyway, I see Matty will do great things. I would consider reading this book.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

The story is intriguing and I would love to know more about it. It follows the life of a boy who struggles to face his challenges. I believe there would be lots of lessons from the book. Nice review.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

One belief I hold strongly is that everyone created is unique and has an amazing purpose. This review go me emotional and am glad of who Matty is. Thanks for this insightful review.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

In our weakest moments, we can decide to give up or level up. Matty's story seems intriguing, and I would love to know how he overcame his disability. And I liked the love and support he got from Lindsey and her husband.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

I would love to know about this young boy and the challenges he was met with. The book sounds motivational, and I'm curious to know if he was able to overcome. Thanks for the review.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

I've never believed that some people had exceptional ability to do things; instead, I've always thought that people accomplish goals by working hard.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

This is the story of a boy with disability. The world needs stories like this that could motivate and push them to work hard despite it not being comfortable. Thanks for this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”