Review of The Big Con

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Lead-Er-Ship by William Canary

Review of The Big Con

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Big Con" by Gini Graham Scott.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Big Con by Gini Graham Scott is a nonfiction book that exposes the process of book to film scams and other writing scams and how writers are also roped in to facilitate scam organisations without even knowing.

The book is divided into chapters that describe how the author was used to facilitate a couple of "Book to film scams" without her knowledge and how difficult it was to eventually realize that she was being scammed. The book also goes further to narrate conversations with other victims , their stories on how they fell for such scams from different companies and the amount of money the lost in the process. It also narrates her interaction with law enforcement on different occasions.

I loved that the author tried to take the readers through even the psychological aspect of these scams and how they seemed believable to her and other victims, how the scammers perfected their schemes and that even the most educated people could fall prey and instead of just narrating the story vaguely without extensive information. I liked that because, it then ensured that the book is "thoroughly educative" and can actually help individuals fish out scams and not fall prey to them. The book also contains samples of emails and texts from the different con artists and the replies from victims, it takes us through when and how they raised suspicion including the smart ways the scam companies tried to cover up and convince clients against their suspicions just like a movie would portray, and these increased my zeal to keep on reading and know what was next because it further made me believe that it is a book based on a true life event and not some fiction. The book gives insight to the internal processes of these illegal activities since the writer was somehow on the inside facilitating the process without her knowledge. It gives a glimpse of the divisions that occur due to greed and also briefly explains how accounts are created and funds transferred, how companies are registered seemingly legally to perpetuate these scams. The vivid explanation of the desperation of these illegitimate actors at some periods when they felt like they were being less convincing and close to being caught created a clearer picture of even the psychology of Fraudsters, thus equipping readers with some skills to identify them.

I did not dislike any aspect of the book. I will gladly rate it a FIVE OUT OF FIVE as I thought it was properly written and edited. The chapters are properly arranged such that the story from the beginning can be properly followed till the end.

I would recommend this to lovers of nonfiction, individuals who enjoy investigative journalism and documentaries on real life events.

The Big Con
View: on Bookshelves
King Nyebuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-nyebuchi.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by King Nyebuchi »

This is an exceptional review.
I like that the author focused on giving details of the scam ensuring the readers properly understood.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I enjoy investigative journalism, so I believe this should be a great read for me. Your review was interesting, and I had a nice time reading it. Thank you for your feedback.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

I have never heard of such scams before, reading about this book has definitely shown some light about these scams. Thank you for the wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”