Review of Diary of a Talking (war) Dog

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review of Diary of a Talking (war) Dog

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Talking (war) Dog" by Daniel Tierney.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Stories of World War I, World War II, World War III, the Korean War, and other conflicts have all been told to me, and I have an idea of the toll that war can take on a person's psyche. The loss of life and property is tragic and unnecessary, and I do not believe that countries, ethnic groups, or societies should ever have to go to war because of any sort of misunderstanding. Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney is a book to enlighten readers about the agonies that come with war.

Daniel, a United States Air Force first lieutenant, was demoted as punishment and sent to manage a motor pool, which he had no experience with, and he was not happy with this new development. He made a mistake he regrets because he was eager to leave the motor pool and signed a volunteer document to join the Vietnam War without reading it first.

He started his endless journey of twenty-six hours to Bien Hoa, Republic of Vietnam, with some stops for fuel in places like northern California and Honolulu. The evening he arrived, as he waited to be transported to the barracks, he saw GIs stacking body bags with corpses to be flown back to the United States. Get this book if you want to know what life was like for Daniel in Bien Hoa and his war experiences.

I enjoyed this book for a lot of reasons. First, I was relieved that Daniel was not sent to the front lines. When the Vietnamese driver was driving recklessly, Daniel didn't fail to express his fear by yelling, and this made the driver tell him that Vietnam was a Buddhist country and that the people there were safe because of their religion, and this enlightens me a little about the Buddhist culture. Adonis's sneaking into the NCO club parking lot to steal the Jeep, only to have the sergeant steal it back, was just one example of how Daniel made the book lively and funny, and there were many others. Some of Daniel's coworkers were drunk, which I believe was an attempt to forget the traumatic event or was used to pass time more quickly.

This book taught me much, so I have no reason to dislike it. I recommend it to people who research the military or like to read about wars. That I only found one error while reading this book shows that Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it teaches me to respect those who devote their lives to fighting for our countries and explains why we must avoid war at all costs.

Diary of a Talking (war) Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

You recognized the importance of recognizing alternative approaches to problem-solving. It's a reminder that there are always other options available. This review does a great job of showing how the book can be relevant to readers today. It's important that we learn from history and use those lessons to make a positive impact on the world.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Speaking about wars while adding a hint of humour waters down the graphic effects the war would have on our minds. Excellent review, you clearly expressed your opinions of the book.
Katherine Barnabas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-barnabas.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Katherine Barnabas »

I've always seen people in the military as the strongest kind of people. Risking your life while others stay home and watch movies is not a job everyone can do.
Emmanuel Cohen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-cohen.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Emmanuel Cohen »

The aftermath of war is always full of regrets, regretting what we would have avoided if we had understood ourselves better. An interesting piece of book.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Prism: The Pegasus Who Painted the Sky Rainbow by Brad W. Blue

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

The life of a military man is just a journey with a lot of challenges and I feel that no one should dream of war not to even think of instigating it.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

I like that you recognized the importance of learning about the consequences of our decisions. It's a reminder that our actions have real-world effects. It's great that the book teaches readers about Vietnamese culture and customs. It's important to understand and appreciate other cultures.
Malik Shuaib Iqbal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malik-shuaib-iqbal.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Malik Shuaib Iqbal »

"Diary of a Talking War Dog" is a captivating and heartfelt story that offers a unique perspective on war and the role of animals in it. Written by Joan Hess, this book follows the life of a loyal and intelligent German shepherd named Honey, who serves in the US Army during World War II.
The story is told from Honey's point of view, giving readers a glimpse into the mind of a war dog and the challenges they face. Honey's diary entries reveal the physical and emotional demands of training and serving in the army, as well as the strong bond she develops with her handler, Private Miller.
Hess's writing is engaging and accessible, making it easy for readers of all ages to connect with the story. She skillfully weaves historical events into the narrative, providing a fascinating insight into the role of dogs in war and the impact of war on soldiers and civilians alike. The book is also filled with vivid descriptions and well-drawn characters, which add depth and realism to the story.
One of the most significant strengths of "Diary of a Talking War Dog" is its ability to elicit strong emotions from readers. Honey's unwavering loyalty and dedication to her job are admirable, and her experiences in the war are both heartwarming and heart-wrenching. The book addresses themes such as sacrifice, courage, and the enduring power of love, making it a poignant and thought-provoking read.
Another highlight of the book is its focus on the relationship between humans and animals. Honey's bond with Private Miller is a testament to the power of the human-animal bond, and the book highlights the vital role that dogs play in our lives and in our history.
Overall, "Diary of a Talking War Dog" is a well-written and compelling book that offers a unique perspective on war and the role of animals in it. It's a touching and inspiring read that is sure to appeal to animal lovers, history buffs, and anyone who appreciates a good story.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I appreciate that you recommended this book to anyone who can't imagine what war is like or its negative consequences. It's important that we understand the realities of war and its impact on people's lives.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

The terrors that come with war is nothing anyone should pray for or hope for. I believe that anyone who has experienced war would avoid it and not try instigate it for whatsoever reason it may be.
Eliah king
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliah-king.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Eliah king »

The pacing of the book was perfect, with just the right balance of action, dialogue, and introspection. I was on the edge of my seat, eagerly turning the pages to find out what would happen next."
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I appreciate that you recommended this book to those who want to learn more about war and its negative consequences. It's important that we understand the realities of war.
Your review has made me interested in learning more about the experiences of soldiers during the Vietnam War.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

Your review has made me interested in learning about the experiences of soldiers during the Vietnam War. It's great that the book includes details about Vietnamese culture, such as the traditional silk dress.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

War is not something anyone will like to experience because properties will be destroyed and many lives will be lost. Military is risky job because anything can happen at anytime.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

The book contains so much moral lessons like why we shouldn’t sign any document without proof reading. I hope Daniel was able to make it out safely. This is a beautiful review keep it up

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”