Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I want my magic stone! That was the thought I had while reading the book The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend. Being the person I am, I have always craved some power. Reading this book just fueled my desires even more. Have you ever wanted so badly to know what a person is thinking or influence their thought process? Have you ever craved being the reason why a person acted a certain way? This book displays that through its very captivating narrative. If only such a stone existed, it would be fun but probably cause more harm than any good it could ever bring.

The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend is a fictional fantasy book that captivates readers with its fantastic narrative. The story starts with a murder scene where Delvin, the lead protagonist, is accused of murdering his friend and mentor, Borlock. Everything looked so hazy because the people who had known him for so long pointed accusing fingers at him. Everyone knew how close he was to Borlock and how he'd often follow him to shows where he performed magic tricks. They were so close that Delvin could perform Borlock's tricks from start to finish in the same order Borlock performs them at his shows. Delvin knew something was wrong when he tried to recount the events before the murder and couldn't remember them. Each time he tried to speak about what he saw, it was as if something had made his mind blank. After Delvin and his friend Greg had moved to Hengel, some situations led to Delvin's arrest and his journey with Princess Jarla to Argent. Do you want to find out the content of these scenarios? Did a romantic relationship bloom between Delvin and the princess? Did Delvin become the villain in the end? Find out by purchasing this book.

I loved some things about The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend. First, I loved the character of Mistress Wilshaw. It was funny to imagine her in reality when the author described her as being generous in size or having some parts of her spill out of the chair she sat on. I loved how realistic the author was with the book's vibe. He suggests that it was in the era when horses were the means of transportation. Wealthy people enslaving people is something that goes along with this period. The book also brought to my attention how different things were back then. In the olden days, enslaved people had custom outfits. Compared to today, helpers dress just as nicely as their masters. The book also exposes the tricks of magicians and fortunetellers. Once you massage a person's ego by agreeing with their ideas or telling them what you perceive they want to hear, you'll have their trust and money. I loved the aura of Princess Jarla; she carried an aura of confidence and grace.

There are also some things about this book that I didn't appreciate. The first issue is the language used in the book. It made the text difficult to read. The book was written from the third person's point of view and still used a rigid grammar base for its narration. I had to take my time to digest the contents of the book. The book's pacing was slow, and I feel some parts the author added shouldn't be included. It made the book stretch out, making it too long and dull. Also, I discovered a few errors that interfered with my reading, proving that the book underwent professional editing. Because of the aspects I have listed, I rate The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend four out of five stars.

I admit the storyline had content, and the author carefully drafted the book. The author took the time to think out the scenarios in this book, and I greatly commend him for his dedication to producing a book worth reading. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy books. You will have an exciting time reading this book. I also recommend this book to lovers of fiction. It will feed your desires.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

The author seems to possess a high sense of humour and I love to read books that has good content. I enjoyed reading this review because it's content was enlightening.
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

Some books with magical themes get too extreme with their magical content but l can tell from your review of The Magician Secret by Charles Townsend that it is not a book with conventional magic content. Excellent Review
Gemmachi Jane
Currently Reading: Terms of service
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemmachi-jane.html
Latest Review: Clifford's War by J Denison Reed

Post by Gemmachi Jane »

Its wonderful to see a book, that cuts across several themes, while still retaining the element of magic. It's worthy to note that this book will appeal to lovers of thrillers.I can't wait to read the book in full. Great review!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I agree that the errors make the reading hard. Also I was so annoyed by Jarla saying " right" all the time .

Although, you are also right about descriptions of that time etc. I shiver just to imagine the black magician ahah

Great review !
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I agree with you, the idea of having a magic stone that can influence people's thoughts and actions is intriguing, but it can also be dangerous. The character of Mistress Wilshaw sounds hilarious, and I can't wait to see how she adds to the story's humor.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

Was Wilshaw really fat or I don't understand what you meant by parts of her spilling while she sat. I enjoyed reading this review and I believe you were able to pass the messages correctly.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

While reading this review, I found out that this book would be very captivating and interesting and I would enjoy every bit of it. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

This book contains a lot of mysteries and I really enjoy mystery books. The author did a good job mixing fantasy and mystery and I will add this book to my shelf.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

You really do know your way around words. I love the way you introduce your reviews. It is honest and top notch. Excellent job. Keep up your good work. I'm enjoying myself reading your reviews.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

It's commendable that the author dedicated so much time to crafting a well-thought-out story. It shows in the book's storyline and how everything ties together. It's always fun to read about magical powers and abilities, and the idea of having a stone that can influence people's thoughts and actions is certainly intriguing.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

It's understandable that you found the language and pacing of the book to be a bit challenging at times, but it's great that the author was able to overcome those challenges and produce a book that was still worth reading.
Willie Wilsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willie-wilsons.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Willie Wilsons »

The character of Princess Jarla sounds like a strong and intriguing presence in the book, and I'm sure many readers will be drawn to her. It's always a good sign when a book is able to teach readers something new or challenge their assumptions, and it sounds like this book was able to do just that.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

It's great that the book also explores the darker side of magic and how people can use it to deceive and manipulate others. It's great that the author was able to create such a vivid and immersive world that readers can really get lost in.
Ivan Kovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Ivan Kovic »

It's interesting to see how the author weaves the story around the murder of Delvin's mentor and how he tries to clear his name. It's a classic whodunit plot that keeps readers guessing until the end.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”