Review of Earth Won

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of Earth Won

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Earth Won" by Arthur Seymour.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a future where technology is more advanced, it is common for humans to have a robot companion to help them with their daily activities. Seymour lives in a small house with a laboratory on a beach with his robot, Robyn, his dog, Glen, and Devyn, the cat. Seymour and his companions go on several missions assigned to them by the Spirit of the Earth to rectify the destructive impacts of people's actions on nature. On one of his missions, he meets Ruby and discovers he isn't the only one, along with his companions, receiving hints from the Spirit of the Earth. Seymour and Ruby join forces, following the instructions of the Spirit of the Earth sent through their companions, to stop an evil creature. 

Earth Won by Arthur Seymour is a science fiction short story full of adventures. I was pleasantly surprised that the author combined several separate incidents to form the peak of the plot, which I have to say that I didn't foresee. I liked how he used simple terminology. He also used a unique method of transforming the words he wanted to clarify into hyperlinks directed to online platforms. I found this technique creative, especially for explaining terms to young readers. Also, I appreciated the poem the author put at the end of the book to summarize the story. I'm not a fan of poetry because I find it hard to understand, but this poem was simple, so I enjoyed it immensely. So, I think young readers and beginners will have no problem understanding it.

Furthermore, I liked that the author tried to convey a few messages through his story. He talked about protecting our environment, how greed is a horrible trait to possess, and considering the consequences of our actions. He also spoke about the importance of seeking the truth and not allowing our desires to cloud our judgment. One of the book's most memorable quotes is: "Truth is often not what we see or hear. Truth is what really happened."

However, I didn't appreciate the disconnection of the events at the beginning of the book; it made the book seem like a collection of separate short stories with the same characters, making it challenging to understand where the plot was going.

Since the book is well-paced and exceptionally well-edited, along with all the other positive aspects mentioned earlier, I believe it deserves 5 out of 5 stars. I didn't deduct any points for the negative aspect because the author fixed it at the end of the book by connecting all the events smoothly, giving me a pleasant surprise.

I recommend this book to fans of science fiction and short stories. I also believe it's suitable for young adults as it contains no profanity.

Earth Won
View: on Bookshelves
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Interesting and very much a possible concept in reference to a futuristic world. It would be incredible to go on a mission assigned by the spirit of the Earth. So cool!

Thank you for the lovely review Omneya.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 02:01 Interesting and very much a possible concept in reference to a futuristic world. It would be incredible to go on a mission assigned by the spirit of the Earth. So cool!

Thank you for the lovely review Omneya.
I agree, it is a very interesting idea to receive instructions from the Spirit of the Earth. Thank you for your wonderful comment.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: He talked about protecting our environment, how greed is a horrible trait to possess, and considering the consequences of our actions.
Greed is indeed horrible. It dragged us down. And yes, every decision has consequences- good or bad. I like how you pinpoint all of this from the book. It reminds us of how we align our behaviors on the right path. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: From Doubt to Do by Kat O'Sullivan

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

I like your review. It is very engaging and makes me like the book even before reading it. I guess I will give it a try.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 20:15
Omneya Shakeep wrote: He talked about protecting our environment, how greed is a horrible trait to possess, and considering the consequences of our actions.
Greed is indeed horrible. It dragged us down. And yes, every decision has consequences- good or bad. I like how you pinpoint all of this from the book. It reminds us of how we align our behaviors on the right path. Your review is awesome!
That is very much true, greed is one of the worst traits a person could possess. It can drag him and all the people associated with him down. Thank you for your support and lovely comment.
Rob White.
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Joule Mwendwa wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 11:00 I like your review. It is very engaging and makes me like the book even before reading it. I guess I will give it a try.
It was an entertaining and eye-opening read that I truly enjoyed. I hope you do too. Thanks for your nice comment.
Rob White.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Could you imagine how wonderful it would be if the Spirit of the Earth could truly communicate with us? Hmm....maybe she tries, but noone is listening? Something to think about.

I enjoyed reading your review.
This is definitely a book I'd like to read. :reading-6:
Thank you
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Mary WhiteFace wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 16:41 Could you imagine how wonderful it would be if the Spirit of the Earth could truly communicate with us? Hmm....maybe she tries, but no one is listening? Something to think about.

I enjoyed reading your review.
This is definitely a book I'd like to read. :reading-6:
Thank you
You are right, I believe it is trying to communicate with us, but we are undoubtedly feigning ignorance. Thanks for your spirit-uplifting words.
Rob White.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an eclectic combination of sci-fi, poetry, hyperlinks, and thought-provoking mesages about caring for the Earth and ourselves. Thank you for your thorough review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
gro0vy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulfatai-saheedah.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet

Post by gro0vy »

I really enjoyed reading your review it was quite interesting and makes me really want to read the book.
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

MsH2k wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 19:12 This sounds like an eclectic combination of sci-fi, poetry, hyperlinks, and thought-provoking messages about caring for the Earth and ourselves. Thank you for your thorough review!
True, reading this short story was a different experience. Thank you for your nice comment.
Rob White.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

A well written book with an important message! Good job. Your reviews are always so good!
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Abdulfatai Saheedah wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 06:56 I really enjoyed reading your review it was quite interesting and makes me really want to read the book.
I'm glad you liked it. I hope you enjoy reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful comment.
Rob White.
Omneya Shakeep
Currently Reading:

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 10:02 A well written book with an important message! Good job. Your reviews are always so good!
Thanks for your wonderful compliment. It was indeed a book worth reading.
Rob White.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”