Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Charles Babbage »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Many of us, while growing up, only listened to stories about colonizing and what people experienced during that time—the wars, the sufferings—but all in all, they were just stories to us. Luckily for us, we did not get to experience such. This book gives us an insight into what it was like during those times. 

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah was born in Aïn Beïda, a small town in the province of Constantine, beneath the Aurès Mountains, in northeastern Algeria. At the time, the government of France had annexed my country as a part of the French mainland. This is a story about the rise to independence of Algeria. 

A Dream for Peace is a nonfiction book written by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. It takes us on a journey with Berrah in his early days, from the time when the French colonial masters were still present in Algeria up to the time of Algeria's independence from France. I liked so many things about this book. It was inspiring, as I got to know more about what colonialism really was, aside from the stories that had been told to me when I was younger.  The flow of the story even made the book all the more interesting, and I would rather not take my eyes off it as each page went by. Algeria was divided into three departments: Algiers was in the center, Oran was in the west, and Constantine was in the eastern department, where Berrah was born. The tribe of his father, Hamadi Berrah, were the Saighi, which had its origins in the hotbed of rebellious Arabized Berbers who marched to the beat of their drums. His father was a jeweler who got married to his mother, Lalla Zebida, who was barely a teenager at the time.

Another thing I liked about this book was how the Algerian culture and traditions were well represented. The most fascinating thing to me, as it was to Berrah, were the wedding feast celebrations. It was said that some wedding festivities lasted for a whole week, with various events and public displays going on to entertain the crowd. The ones I was most attracted to were the cavalier horsemen, who were always ready to put on a spectacular show with their shiny rifles. The shows they put on at that time made a young Berrah dream of becoming Aïn Beïda’s most famous acrobatic rider someday.

What I disliked about this book was the use of words that I found difficult to understand and had to go check for their meaning. It made the reading quite stressful. I would rate this book four out of five stars because of my dislike of the book, as mentioned above. I did not find any errors, which means the book was exceptionally well-edited. Furthermore, I recommend this book to readers who would like to know more about history. 

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Active Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-active-chris.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Active Chris »

This is a memoir that shows the life live by Dr Ghoulem Berrah. He was a man who fought not just for his people in Algeria but strived for world peace and freedom. Thanks for the review.
Prisca olu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisca-olu.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Prisca olu »

I am not really enthusiastic about reading what seems to be an autobiography. But I applaud any fight for peace that involves freeing one's people. A good review.
Rose Lineani
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

It's important that we learn from those who have come before us and use their experiences to make positive change. Your review has made me interested in learning more about the historical events described in the book. It sounds like a fascinating read.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

We need more people like Dr Ghoulem Berrah in Africa to chase a unified dream. A dream for peace a memoir about a legend and a hero for the people of Algeria.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

I learned a lot from this book. Ghoulem was an interesting character. I especially like his marriage to his wife. Great review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I never know that Cote d'Ivoire is a country until I read this book. President Houphouet was a great leader in his time together with Dr. Berrah as his special advisor. It's an informative book. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

It was so inspiring reading about the fight of Algeria to independence and how great patriots like Ghoulem helped it become a reality.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Wow.. the book gives us an insight to what those wars were and how living those Times were like. Interesting. I love history, so I'll love to learn more. Amazing review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Thank you for this review. Dr. Berrah's memoir gives an insight into the man that was dedicated to his country and gave his utmost best to see Algeria thrive.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

Thank you for this review. I appreciate the fact that people who are willing to be selfless and give their all for the betterment of society still exist. Good job on such a detailed review.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

The dream of peace should be adored by all. Dr. Berrah's journey around the world was not defeated as he played his part in aiding his country. I loved reading this book. Nice review.
Favour Ozone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

The challenges the author went through in other to achieve peace were tough. I was motivated by the author's story. I love reading about people that tend to make the world a better place.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I admire the author’s strength and ability to forge ahead even when the situations were not looking nice. I wished many nation leaders will look up to him.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

A Dream Of Peace by Dr. Gholuem Berrah is an intriguing book that talks about a man a medical practitioner who also developed a passion for Politics. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”