Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

People should not judge anyone's life path or societal impact because of their origin or family. People should not use bad luck as an excuse to use drugs, drink irresponsibly, or engage in other undesirable behaviors. The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson is a book based on a true story.

Duke, who works in a circus, tells the crowd how he would try to swallow five thirty-inch swords. The audience watched in disbelief as he slowly pushed the sword down his throat, and they all shouted in joy as he turned to the side to make sure everyone could see him swallow the sword. He worked for the dangerous criminal Big Jim, was a competent performer, and made enough money to maintain his standard of living.

Duke and Ink had met a few years ago near Los Angeles while he was performing on the beach in Southern California. Ink was in a relationship with Moona, which made him famous, and his goal was to make tattooing a trend. Duke wanted a tattoo, and Rocky suggested the "Rock of Ages" tattoo as perfect for a sideshow. Get this book to know the life journey of the sword swallower.

This book appealed to me because Gary focused on the main characters, Duke and Gary, and how their lives changed over time. The significance of the tattoo Duke got appealed to me, and I was glad he did. It was remarkable how Duke always responded confidently to the question of what he does for a living, demonstrating that he loved what he did for a living. It was amusing when Ink auctioned Moona's toilet seat for $300. I also saw how Duke's unhappiness at home led to him searching for happiness in the circus. I also realized how important it is for parents to keep their relationships from interfering with their children's everyday lives.

The few things I didn't like about this book were that Gary was addicted to drinking while Duke was also a smoker, and I felt that Duke would have saved for the future rather than living a lavish lifestyle. Because of this, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure books and stories based on true life. I didn't encounter any errors while reading, which shows that The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson was exceptionally well edited.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

The unhealthy lives styles of these people were scary to read. The one that bought the toilet sit that was assumed to be used by his idol supposed me the most.
Martin Kalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martin-kalu.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Martin Kalu »

Notwithstanding the two having different bad characters at least never stopped them from earning a living though it was unhealthy .bits quiet impressive but still dangerous at what Duke does
Sword swallowing wow 😯.Nice review ,clear and neat .
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

From your review I can tell that this book throws light on the dangers of drug abuse and addiction and living lifestyles that are detrimental to our future. I hope everyone that reads this book can learn a thing or two from this story
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

The book cover design and title of this story is a stopper. I could glean from your review that indulgence in unhealthy vices does not bring happiness or fulfillment, it only leaves a vacuum. A whole lot can be learnt from this book.
Gemmachi Jane
Currently Reading: Terms of service
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemmachi-jane.html
Latest Review: Clifford's War by J Denison Reed

Post by Gemmachi Jane »

This review, goes a long way to teach people, about the dangers of some addictions. It's also warming to read a book so amusing. It is really a great piece for lovers of adventure. A must read, I must say.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

This review was so well written and I totally agree with the 4/4 stars rating! I'm so impressed that the author could paint such vivid images and make the characters come alive.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I appreciate the author for making this story clear and vivid in my head. Although I enjoyed the analysis of the book, I'm afraid the storyline isn't something I think I can read. I understand that the book contains mature content and could be challenging for sensitive readers. Therefore, I have decided not to read it
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

I appreciate the author's vivid writing style and the detailed descriptions of the characters and the circus. I found the book to be an easy read and the story was interesting. However, I understand that this book contains mature content that may not be suitable for younger readers.
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

It's funny to think this book is based on a true story, so there are people who know how dangerous a Sword and still decide that swallowing it as a job for money is okay.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Prism: The Pegasus Who Painted the Sky Rainbow by Brad W. Blue

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

This book is a powerful reminder that our origins and circumstances should never define us. It emphasizes the importance of personal responsibility and resilience in the face of adversity. Duke's captivating sword swallowing performances and his involvement with Big Jim provide a thrilling backdrop to the story.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

This is a mesmerizing display of talent and the reminder to appreciate the unique abilities and experiences that individuals bring to the world.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

I didn't really like the connection between Duke and the dangerous criminal Big Jim, who was known as a figure in the tattoo industry, but aside from that, Duke's sword swallowing was really mind-blowing and hilarious.
Christopher Andersons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris1-anderson.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Christopher Andersons »

The book provides a message of hope and the possibility of redemption. The author's portrayal of Duke as a person with an abundance of love is heartwarming.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

The author's tribute to his friend, Captain Don Leslie, adds an emotional depth to the book. The author's use of profanity and sexual content is appropriate to the story and adds to the authenticity of the characters.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”