Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Living in blissful ignorance can be a blessing. Life may be boring, but everything has a place, and peaceful contentment can be achieved. Kim lived in blissful ignorance, surrounded by her friends, and hoping to achieve a better life by following the terms of service without being either more or less than those around her. However, we all have that one friend, the one that no matter where they go, trouble follows. Kim's trouble was Shan, someone she believed to be her best friend, who slowly began to open Kim's eyes to the obscurities of their society and ultimately put Kim in the most uncompromising position of all: to choose between ignorance or love.

Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice by Craig W. Stanfill transports readers to a world where equality among humans is a must, and artificial intelligence systems control human lives. In this society, unique minds are pushed to the brink of insanity as technology progresses ever further in the realm of AI, blurring the line between human consciousness and machine. As readers journey through this potential future, they'll be prompted to ponder what is considered too much or too far in terms of technological advancements. Join the adventure and experience the thrilling ride that awaits.

The world-building in Terms of Service is absolutely amazing. The author creates a detailed foundation for the dystopian society, exploring its strengths and weaknesses through the eyes of the protagonist, Kim. Unlike many other dystopian books that focus solely on the protagonist's individual struggle against society, Terms of Service provides a rich and detailed exploration of the dystopian civilization itself. As readers journey through this twisted reality, they are able to evaluate for themselves what it has to offer, from the pit of despair to the highest levels of beings within the society.

To help readers understand what the book is about, Craig W. Stanfill divides it into three sections. Before the start of Part I, he provides a crucial list of the society's fundamental rules, known as the ‘Customer Agreement’, to lay the foundation. Part 1 builds upon this foundation, showing how these rules govern society and shape its evolution. While some readers may find Part 1 slower due to the author's attention to character and world-building, it is necessary for the reader's understanding of the story. It's important to note that the book contains depictions of drug use, sexual content, and psychological abuse throughout, which may be triggering to some readers. However, these elements are not directed solely toward the main character but are a norm for this dystopian society. Overall, besides these potentially triggering scenes, I couldn't find any other negative aspects of the book.

I give Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice by Craig W. Stanfill a 5 out of 5 stars. This book is a fantastic read that delves into alluring mysteries while also serving as a cautionary tale about being careful what we wish for. It presents a potential future for the human race where AI systems and technologies become increasingly advanced. The ideas presented in this book are thought-provoking and stretch the reader's imagination about whether they could accept the features of a society like this, where inclusion is paramount and there is no 'I', only 'we'. The book is well-written and absolutely fascinating.

I highly recommend Terms of Service to mature readers aged 18 and older who enjoy thought-provoking dystopian science fiction. Please note that the book contains depictions of sexual, child, and mental abuse, as well as references to drug and alcohol use. However, if you can handle these content warnings, you're in for a fascinating exploration of how technology and societal norms can shape our future. The engaging characters, exciting plot twists, and thought-provoking themes make this book a must-read for anyone who loves a good dystopian tale. Additionally, the book is the first in the AI Dystopia series, so readers can look forward to more from the talented Craig W. Stanfill.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like what's on your take on the book. Indeed, the future laid out by the author is so advanced yet in a way of pessimism that freedom is out of nowhere. Despite that, I enjoyed this book and was looking forward to reading the sequel.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 23:35 I like what's on your take on the book. Indeed, the future laid out by the author is so advanced yet in a way of pessimism that freedom is out of nowhere. Despite that, I enjoyed this book and was looking forward to reading the sequel.
I completely agree! This book portrays the worst-case scenario where everything seems to go against humanity. The unique and wayward perspective presented was definitely an attractive factor for me because it really makes you think about how the present can significantly influence the future. I'm excited to follow this series too, especially after checking out the author's website :) I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”