Review of Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids" by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Emma, an eight-year-old girl, lives with her parents and siblings. Her parents love their children very much and want to guide them in their faith; therefore, every night they read passages from the Bible to them. They want them to know that God loves them and that they should love Him back. One day, Emma wakes up and tells her parents about her dream. She dreamed about being carried by angels to a magical place. Based on her description of such a place, her parents believe she must have seen heaven. They explain that God must be trying to tell Emma something very important and special. Emma realises that she must spread the word about heaven so that others wish they could go there too. She prays and prays to be taken back there in her dreams in order to learn more. Will Emma dream about heaven again? What will she see there? Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul is a Christian book that will take you and your family on a holy adventure.

The authors start by giving a sweet and intimate context to the girls' lives. They are children very much loved by their parents; they live in a neighbourhood that probably looks like the readers'; and they have a swing set in the back yard. These details allow for an immediate connection with the young characters right from the beginning. The writing is very fluid and age-appropriate. Parts of the dialogue really sounded like a child speaking about their avid adventures. For example, when Emma says she was flying high above clouds like an aeroplane, it's impossible not to feel contaminated by her enthusiasm. Heaven is shown and described as a very happy and truly peaceful place for everyone who is there. Additionally, I appreciate that the authors included real biblical passages to support Emma's perception of heaven, which were also very well illustrated in the book.

I did not particularly like the way hell was addressed; it was described frighteningly. For example, in the book, it can be read: "There were worms biting the people, and they cried out in pain." I believe this is not suitable for more sensible and younger children.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't find any errors, so this book is exceptionally well-edited. I deducted one star due to my lack of agreement with the description of hell as noted above.

I recommend this book to Christian families, especially for children aged six or older. Furthermore, I recommend that this book be read with parental guidance and insight.

Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love your review, Sara. I love books about God and the Bible and especially for children, it would be a lightening and smooth read. Emma looks like described heaven perfectly and I think God heard her prayer and dream again of heaven.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 17:34 I love your review, Sara. I love books about God and the Bible and especially for children, it would be a lightening and smooth read. Emma looks like described heaven perfectly and I think God heard her prayer and dream again of heaven.
Thank you so much for being so supportive! I also loved the book, it passes this message to kids while having a good story and illustration. Thank you for stopping by and for reading.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I read this book recently and I agree with your point about the way hell was described. Other than that, it was a decent book. Thank you for your thorough review, Sara.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Nisha DSouza wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 02:48 I read this book recently and I agree with your point about the way hell was described. Other than that, it was a decent book. Thank you for your thorough review, Sara.
My child is one of those sensitive ones! There's no way he could watch the Lion King like I did as a child. Ah ah
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I can't wait to read your review !
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 02:51
My child is one of those sensitive ones! There's no way he could watch the Lion King like I did as a child. Ah ah
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I can't wait to read your review !
True, same here. My daughter was upset watching the movie "Soul". :(
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

I hadn’t considered the impact such a vivid description of hell might have one reading this book but you make a good point.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Jack King wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 06:11 I hadn’t considered the impact such a vivid description of hell might have one reading this book but you make a good point.
I think it depends on the child and how well parents can explain it too. I happen to have a very sensitive one! Thank you for your comment!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Nisha DSouza wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 03:16
Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 02:51
True, same here. My daughter was upset watching the movie "Soul". :(
Ahh she must be very kind! Lucky Mommy
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I've read several reviews of this book, and yours is one of the best. Maybe parents can skip the part about hell when reading with young children.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Patty Allread wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 13:18 I've read several reviews of this book, and yours is one of the best. Maybe parents can skip the part about hell when reading with young children.
Thank you so much; that's very kind! Yes, I agree. They can use their own words to explain in a way that makes sense to the family. Thank you for your comment.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I appreciate that the authors made a conscious effort to keep the story as Emma relayed it. And how awesome that her experience was validated by biblical texts! Thank you for your thoughtful take on this book.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 18:44 I appreciate that the authors made a conscious effort to keep the story as Emma relayed it. And how awesome that her experience was validated by biblical texts! Thank you for your thoughtful take on this book.
Yes, I liked that too. Emma is so enthusiastic about her experience. Thank you so much for your coment.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

I agree with you. Although this is a children's book, I don't like the description of hell. It's quite scary for young minds.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Ifechi Angela wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 09:59 I agree with you. Although this is a children's book, I don't like the description of hell. It's quite scary for young minds.
Thank you very much for your comment! The test of the book is very sweet though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”