Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Goodness Azuka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Think about artificial intelligence (AI) in its extremity. Science and technology have proven to be promising. Development in this aspect of life has been swift. Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice is a science fiction book that explores artificial intelligence, its technologies, and its future.

Kim is a working-class young lady. She works for a company that deals in artificial intelligence. The company has some terms of service that customers must obey. Kim suffers from severe separation trauma. Regarding Anti-Mentorism, she suffered loneliness, sadness, despair, betrayal, and abandonment. It is because she was raised with too much attachment to her mother. She was confined to the care of a puritanical zealot, Zani. Kim becomes overwhelmed and starts violating the terms of the company. How much trouble will this be for her? Will there be a breakthrough?

Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice is written by Craig W. Stanfill. The book contains 352 pages, three parts, and nineteen chapters; each chapter has a title. The author provided a table of contents for easy navigation. In the preliminary pages, the author also provided a note (of caution) on use of pronouns and a summary of terms of service for customer agreement.

The book cover and title were captivating at first. It developed my interest in knowing what the book was about. The book mirrored the future, showing the normality of intense science and technology. The extent of artificial intelligence, improved technologies, and robotics made me think so. Cryptocurrencies were even the legal means of exchange. It felt like the author was writing from the future. Social interactions like partying and playing games were virtual. It was both mind-blowing and thought-provoking. My favourite part is the author’s final words, especially the last line.

However, there are some things I do not like about the Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice. The extremity of technology, especially playing games and partying, is too overwhelming. It was not nice that the refrigerator would always choose what Kim ate because of some programmed principles. It would wreck me personally. It was also challenging sometimes to differentiate a human character from a robot. Because these are personal reasons, I won’t hesitate to rate this book five out of five stars. It is because the book was well-written and exceptionally well-edited, as I encountered no errors while reading.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and AIs. The book is unsuitable for young readers as it contains profanities and sexual content.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

This is an interesting book which predicted the date of humanity in the face of an AI-run economy. Terms of service is really an interesting dystopian novel.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Terms of service seems like a good book. It must have been hard on human be ing told what to do everytime and being controlled by AIs. Great review.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Conrad Writes »

This book seems like a sign for what will possibly occur in the future as Artificial intelligence is everywhere now. But we cannot neglect the fact that it has changed many lives for the better.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

Reading Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice highlighted the negative consequences of relying on technology for all we do.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

The world is changing and everyone is rushing into the business of AI because its the next big thing if not the current big thing.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Wow... Kim's life mist have been very boring. I wonder what the rules are and the ones she broke. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for an interesting review.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

I was certain that Kim was going to go rogue sooner or later. The excessive rules made by the artificial intelligence company will drive any human mad. I'm most against the whole Mentorists scheme. Nice review.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

I became interested in this book after figuring it contains science fiction which I'm a fan of. Kim doesn't know what she signed up for and found herself working for a company with terms and conditions. Thanks for the review.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

The fast trend of AI is taking all over the world. This book is a perfect book for the trend. Kim was an admirable character to read. Thanks for the review.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

I love Kim's characteristics as a hardworking young lady, and I think of the troubles she might cause herself by violating the company's rules and wonder if there is an escape route for her.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

In this book that features science fiction, Kim was able to land a job in an AI company but little did she know what she signed up for and the terms of her service. Great review.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

The AIs kept tabs on Kim's life. I don't think that's cool, and I admire her for being so committed to her profession. Your review is excellent.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

The book's cover also captivated me. I would love to read about AI in this book with how the world is revolving. Kim will also love her job. The AIs are helping Kim to live an healthy life.
Kene Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kene-active.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Kene Active »

The first paragraph of your review was captivating. I really wondered how Kim had coped with the whole situation. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”