Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Individuals frequently lead diverse lives. Some people choose to err on the side of caution and discover what the future holds for them. They prefer to embark on solo adventures to discover who they are and meet new people. In his book, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid, Gary Robinson describes the journeys of both Duke and Gary.

Gary Robinson's novel, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid, tells the tale of two lost souls who spend their lives trying to find meaning and drowning in addiction. Duke, at age 15, left behind his harrowing childhood and started a new life in the circus. Cigarettes, liquor, and crystal meth were three things you never saw him without when he was a sword swallower. He had nothing beyond his circus lifestyle. It took a trip to jail and an incident on stage to convince him to get his life in order and stop drinking.

Gary Robinson experienced the same horrors at home. He developed an alcohol problem at fifteen, just like his mother. After finishing college, Gary spontaneously chose to relocate to Chico, California. There, he tried different jobs while looking for a purpose, but things in the world always pulled him away. He found himself in a small club one night where Duke was playing. Gary pressed Duke for advice after seeing him perform, feeling both encouraged and anxious. Duke, who had by that time discovered his calling, spent his final days assisting Gary in doing the same.

Gary Robinson's novel, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid, features humor and circus acts and tends to elicit an individual's emotional side. I adore how the author provided a thorough explanation of Duke's circus family and each of their various acts. I applaud the author for making me feel almost like I was witnessing a real show. I cherished how Duke appeared to approach life in general at the beginning of the work. He handled everything so freely and didn't let anything affect him, which made his character even more likable and relatable. I adored the imagery that the words on the page seemed to paint. I admired how the author combined two different human stories into one. The bond they eventually formed was immensely significant and motivating.

The way the storylines developed and came together was enjoyable. I adored the specifics and details of each distinct predicament they encountered. Reading the gory information was the main thing I didn't enjoy. These moments made me wince and feel nauseous because I don't like gory violence. This book is undoubtedly not suitable for those with sensitive personalities. The book's excessive profanity, drug use, and drinking didn't sit well with me. Teen readers shouldn't read this book as a result. However, the lessons and guidelines included therein ought to be taken by them. They would have made better life decisions as a result of this. I was not too fond of how the author organized both protagonists' stories. Duke's story appeared to have suddenly ended, and the next time I read about him, he seemed to be an entirely different character.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. No grammatical or spelling errors were detected, showing the book's exceptional editing. I gave it one star less because of the things I mentioned above. The novel would be better if there were less profanity and less description in the scenes of drug and alcohol abuse. I believe people wishing to better understand drug and alcohol abusers and those who want to motivate them should read this book. I advise anyone interested in the lives of performers to read this book. If you've ever wondered how these people prepare for these performances, this book is for you.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

Duke left his life to find happiness in the circus. I feel parents should always be careful while having disputes around children because it always have negative impact on them.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

Drug abuse and addiction is a real thing and it is constantly ruining the life of most people, I am glad Duke realized his mistakes and decided to change his life. You did a good Job with this review as you explained what you enjoyed and what you didn’t.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

This review was spot on! I definitely agree with the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I'm so excited to read this book and see if I can spot the funny parts that the reviewer found to be unfunny. I'm sure I'll be able to relate to the characters and their stories, and I'm looking forward to the vivid images and mature content. Thanks for the great review.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Prism: The Pegasus Who Painted the Sky Rainbow by Brad W. Blue

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I believe that circus is a scary but interesting environment and I like that the author was very descriptive in his writing and has a high sense of humour.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

Following happiness would be the best decision Dike made because I know that it take passion to be a circus man and this was the only way I can describe Duke. He had passion for what he was doing despite the money he earns from it.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

I really like how the life journey of Duke Reynolds was recounted and this would be a legacy that would live on. The book is very interesting and I enjoyed this review.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

I feel like adding cuss words to book makes it more realistic. I'm not trying to promote the use of profanities but they in all honestly add taste to the books that contain them.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

The book is titled The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid, written by Gary Robinson, and divided into three sections. The first section concentrates on Duke's life, and the second section focuses on the author, Gary Robinson.
Willie Wilsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willie-wilsons.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Willie Wilsons »

The book is a tribute to the author's friend, Captain Don Leslie, and is partially based on their experiences while performing in the circus. Duke's life is detailed in the first section of the narrative, including how he became a sword swallower at fifteen and his struggles with drug addiction and alcoholism.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

During the winter months, Duke made money performing in bars or on the street. The reader gets a glimpse of Duke's reality and how his choices brought him closer to the edge, leading him to leave the stage in the end.
Ivan Kovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Ivan Kovic »

The second part of the narrative is about the author, Gary Robinson, who is portrayed as a self-destructive individual with no sense of direction. Part three is about how Duke and Gary's paths crossed and how they became close.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

The author uses a technique of presenting each account one after the other rather than simultaneously, making it easier for the reader to follow the story. Duke and Gary meet at a bar after Gary finished his act, and they quickly become close.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”