Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Proof Readar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Uncle Randall has been declared missing without anybody's knowledge following a recent expedition into a forbidden land called Zona, and many conclude he's dead. His nephew, Grant Taylor, who is a university professor residing in Elmhurst, hears about the death of his uncle and decides to move down to Russia to claim his inheritance as the heir of his uncle's home.

In his uncle's home, Grant finds documents and hidden treasures. Through the picture he saw, he could gain certainties about the life of his dead uncle, and they proved useful for his need to adapt to a new physical and social environment. Specifically, he was able to get acquainted with Irina, a beautiful lady who, according to his discovery, was a niece to Randall's lawyer. Later, another expedition was set to commence, which would be led by Colonel Volkov and involve other team members, such as Irina, a botanist, a zoologist, scientists, and guardsmen. Hence, Grant would be joining the team on this expedition to the forbidden zone, intending to probably find his uncle, either dead or alive. However, dangers lie ahead on the way, as their experiences with wild lives wouldn't have them begging for a cup of sugar.

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is an adventurous novel that features the tale of a young man as he beats through the huddles at home and in the wilderness, seeking a justifiable rationale for his uncle's disappearance.

This is a great plot with an easy-to-understand writing style. From the start of the book, I was able to enjoy my reading experience. The writing tone and style made me feel and smell the environment as described in the book. For example, I could smell and feel how Randall's house looks after it has been left desolate for some time. Grant described it with the appropriate choice of words. Also, without having read very far in the book, I was already curious to unravel the mysterious nature of Zona and to come to terms with the reality of Randall's whereabouts. In short, I loved that suspense and danger ensued from the start of the book. Another noteworthy element of the story is the inclusion of Russian culture in terms of language, food, and geography, such as physical places and weather.

The book interestingly describes the expeditionary scenes, such that the scenes give tension and humor at the same time. Going into the expedition, the convoy used includes big tractors and pulling sleds that are armed with artillery and heavy machine guns. The danger in the plot ensued, as there were many deaths and complex situations that made it uncertain for anyone to survive. In the story, you will come across very large and dreadful creatures. These qualities really contributed to my engaging reading.

I didn't have anything to dislike in the book. The author made me feel involved in Grant's adventure with other characters in the book. It felt like watching the happenings in the book, from Grant's arrival in Russia to entering his uncle's house and so on.

The book contains careless sexual behaviors and much alcohol intake, which are evident as Grants had sex with many women, including Irina, and other members of the expedition drank lots of alcohol. These elements of the story's plot add to the story's complexity and build the conflict of the plot. So, I'm not taking this quality of the book as a flaw or as something I dislike, but I believe these are elements peculiar to the book's genres. So, some audiences might appreciate the licentious behaviors in the book, and this is why I would recommend the book to lovers of adventure who don't feel uneasiness with the characters' licentious behavior toward alcohol and sex.

On the literary side of the book, it is excellently well-edited, as I didn't find a grammar error in it. The choice of words and sentence structure allows for easy comprehension and a humorous reading experience. Therefore, I'll rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Oh, what a painful lost on this great scientist. I love his determination and courage to make research on a deadly Zone. God job.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Zona: The Forbidden Land was a great mystery and scifi book. The suspense was so intense and their was a lot of plot twists. Taylor Grant was flawed protagonist, but it worked well for the story.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Grant's willingness to go to the forbidden land to uncover his uncle's disappearance mystery is quite commendable. I hope he succeeds in his mission.
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

Great review for "Zona: The forbidden land:

Painful thing it is for a dear one to be out there without a confirmation of been alive or dead.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

I loved your review and how you explained at the end of your review. I would read more about this book. Good job
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

This is also my type of book, as it features action and adventures. The plot featuring Taylor's saga looking for Randall sounds enthralling.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”